Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ksrogers

Mammoth Dill!

ksrogers
16 years ago

Today, I will be pulling up all of the rest of my dill. If I allowed it to remain, and go to seed, it will show up next year everywhere. The tallest plant right now, is over 6 foot tall! Its only at the flowering stage and will soon grow into a huge seed head. Oddly, two side branches formed on that same plant and both side branches had snapped off about a foot lower than the top. If all of these had survived a heavy rain and strong wind, I would have expected a much taller plant. Its main stem was bigger in diameter than my thumb. Now that's what they call mammoth!

Comments (12)

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

WOW! Lucky you. I just can't get dill to grow for me... too hot and dry, I guess. I do love fresh dill weed and do wish I could grow it.

• karen_b
    16 years ago

I grew dill also to see if I could, and it grew quite well. What do you do with it?

• ksrogers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Right now, I have the second batch of dill weed (the leaves) drying in my cheap Ronco dehydrator. The last batch (two weeks ago) filled a quart canning jar and this batch should as well. Once dried, I crumble it up with my hands and fingers and just pour it all into the jar. I have Food Saver pump and adaptor that connects to the vacuum port on the FS machine. The adaptor has a rubber seal that holds itself against the bead of the glass jar, just below the threads and also holds a lid above the jar while its getting the air removed. Once the vacuum is released, the lid gets pulled onto the jar and makes a vacuum seal. This helps to keep the flavor and color for nearly a year. The seed heads where just now swelling and I didn't want it to drop the seeds where they may, and have another batch sprout up next year all over the place. Its seeds are quite hardy and survive our winters, as none of it was actually planted this year or last year, as it just came up on its own. Because I removed it all before going fully to seed, it will not return, unless I plant more seeds. I have a ton of dill seeds as well. For the heat and dry, you can grow in partial shade and just keep watering it during the season. Its not as tough to grow as cilantro, which hates a lot of heat and sun. There were a couple more that were nearly 6 foot tall too, but this one was the biggest ever.

• vera_eastern_wa
    16 years ago

I love my Mammoth Dill too! Haven't had to plant any in 4 years! It re-seeds but can't say it's too difficult to pull up the ones you don't want and it smells so good doing it :D
    My last use with it was fresh dill weed into my Cucumber Sour Cream Salad...mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmm!! I also like it in soups, on fish and eggs. Pickles too of course and when I learn to can I'll be making pickles! Those flower heads make some nice additions in a flower arrangement too.

Vera

• gladgrowing
    16 years ago

We love our Mammoth Dill, too, and i haven't minded it coming up here and there thru the kitchen gardens or in the compost pile. We use all of it we can - make alot of pickles and some rye breads thruout the year. What i also love is making tubes of compound butters for the freezer, using fresh dill weed. We also make butters out of roasted red peppers, garlic, and pesto-butter rolls. It sure makes the winter waaaay more fun and delicious to have that big dill and all the other goodies.
    I so appreciate this list :)
    Glad

• ksrogers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here, I made a lot of herbed butter last year using rosemary, thyme and garlic. The herbs were first choppped fine, the cold butter was added, and then a little olive oil. Its a mayo consistancy, so I put it into a small group of plastic compartments (like an ice cube tray) that were lined with plastic wrap. When I need some, its just a matter to let it soften slightly and add to any disk. Its really good with chicken breasts, and its tucked under the skin before its roasted or BBQ'd.
    Check out the HARVEST forum here. There are MANY pickle discussions going on right now and I have several posts about a non processed half sour, salt brine dill pickle with garlic. Just opened last years jar and they were still very crunchy. You do need to store them in the fridge however, so they will not spoil (kind of like the Claussen brand).

• tosser
    16 years ago

A few years ago I made up a batch of bread & butter pickles and added in a spoonful of dill seed to each jar before processing. These Sweet Dills were absolutely the best! I gave jars as Christmas presents and people are still asking me to make them again. This year I'm going to try to get some more done. A little different, but really tasty.

ksrogers - how long do you dry your dill in the dehydrator?

• ksrogers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gee, you just reminded me. The weed has been in the dryer since Sunday and is quite crisp right now. I plan to remove it today and crunch it down to fit in a quart glass jar. Most items I dry in the dehydrator are there for various times. Peppers take a lot longer than dill as they contain much more water. The items are usually dried if they are crisp.

As to a Bread & Butter pickle, most recipes for that pickle type don't call for any dill. Instead, they use celery seed and mustard seed, as well as a small amount of allspice, clove and cinnnamon. Adding dill is fine, but with too many predominent spices, the flavors can get confusing.

• daisy_lucy
    16 years ago

I have a dill plant about 3 & 3/4 feet tall. It has been doing great, but it has been raining all day and it is falling over... :( I guess I will tie it to a stake or something. Can some one tell me when you can use the dill? Is it when it's bright yellow or when it looks like seeds? I've been reading all the things you can put it on and I am so excited! I planted mine from a seed that I got from my beautiful and dear Grandma Helen who lives in upstate NY. It's very special to me for that reason.

• ksrogers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You can harvest dill at most any time. Dill weed is easly picked off. The dees heads have tiny flowers, the form green oval shaped seeds, which will dry and turn tan color. If your making pickles, you can use the green seeds, more mature tan seeds and dill weed. I have planted several patches of dill around my garden this year. Will be planting another wave in a few more weeks. Bamboo sticks can help it stay upright. Mine doesnt usually fall over, but can lean a bit.

• EdYeakel
    12 years ago

My mammoth dill is about 18 inches high and really grows. The problem is it has no taste at all! Seriously, its bland in smell and taste. Help?