Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't Identify a herb (I think it is Thyme)

Posted by ladybearbc 6 or 7b BC (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 8, 09 at 12:13

Hello.

I purchased this at a farmer's market last year and am almost positive they said it was thyme.

But it does not seem to have a smell and I am a little loathe to cook with it before I know for sure what it is.

It has a fairly woody stem and is very low growing. I picked up a piece of it yesterday and there were roots on one of the streamers.

Any help you can offer would be great.

Photos attached

Thank you

Here is a link that might be useful: Herb?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't Identify a herb (I think it is Thyme)

We can't see your photo. It requires a sign in.

o

I couldn't get it to upload - so posted it in the Garden gallery - the second one is the one that shows the true picture

Here is a link that might be useful: http://photos.gardenweb.com/garden/galleries/2009/07/second_photo_of_thyme.html

o

It's not thyme, but can't say what it might be. The foliage reminds me of a jasmine.

o

Not thyme, perhaps some sort of oregano?

o

You can past image files here, if you get an account at Photo Bucket, upload your photos, and copy the image data box to your post here. Looks like a thyme to me, but their leaves a usually a bit smaller size. I have oregano here and the leaves are larger than what your photo shows. Smell and taste it to be sure. They do have diferent tastes.

o

Our original poster said that this pretty plant didn't have much of a smell to speak of. I'd be 'skeered' to taste it without knowing what the heck it is. My husband would have to take the taste test for me. Just kidding.

The foliage appears to be tri-foliate.... or am I just seeing things? (That's why I mentioned jasmine.)

If you're still with us, ladybearbc, please tell us what size the leaves ARE. Or give us the dimensions of the cutting board so we have something to compare it to.

o

Any flowers or anything else to go on?

FataMorgana

o

Where's Daisy when you need her?

o

I've seen a whole lot a herbs and this one is not familiar. Is it possible that your "thyme" died and this is a wild plant that moved into the same spot? Or did the plant look like this when you bought it?

FataMorgana

o

Not thyme.
Looks like a vining flower plant...jessamine, jasmine, honeysuckle, etc.

o

It looks quite like Winter Jasmine - Jasminum nudiflorum. it's definitley not thyme and as Fata says it is not any herb I am familiar with.

o

That's the jasmine I was thinking of, too, flora. Anyhoo, it looks like our original poster lost interest. ;-(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here