Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

tthyme question

Lynn Nevins
11 years ago

Hi all. Usually I am pretty good with plants and over time I figure out how much to water them through simple observation of how they react to my watering schedule, and then I adjust accordingly.

My one plant I'm currently having problems with is my thyme. It's not looking as healthy as when I first bought it. Instead of beautiful uniformly green leaves, many are now yellowish. I tried adjusting the watering...first watering it more...then less...but nothing seems to be working.

Does anyone know if thyme generally likes maybe lots of water...or maybe very little water? Or maybe it's not getting enough sun...or too little? Right now it probably gets about 9 hours indirect sun and 5 hours direct sun per day.

Tx!

Comments (9)

• zzackey
    11 years ago

Maybe it needs some fertilizer?

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

Regular garden thyme does not need to be fertilized, requires well-drained soil, doesn't need much water (especially in generally moist locations like NY State), and needs full-sun.

I would think too much water and/or poor draining soil to be the culprit.

FataMorgana

• Lynn Nevins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks. and how would i know if the soil is 'well draining'? I know that when I water it, I can see the water drain through and then come out the bottom....the water doesn't just sit up on the top... so I guess that means then that the soil is well-draining?

I likely filled the pot with an organic potting soil mix.....

• baumgrenze
    11 years ago

Have you looked for spider mites?

• CA Kate z9
    11 years ago

I have Thyme in a pot and it needs a good deal more water then thyme in the ground. With our triple digits this summer I've had to water it - and everything else - daily.

• Lynn Nevins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks...that's most helpful. I was quite sure it had to be that I was grossly over- or under-watering the plant....that is either needed very occasional watering (a la rosemary) or lots of watering. I don't think I've ever watered it multiple days in a row, so now I'll give that a try. I'm also on a 4th floor balcony (which is something new for me) and I'm realizing as more time passes just how much the wind on a 4th floor balcony can affect the plants and make them dry out faster....

• opal52
    11 years ago

I have a large pot of Thyme on my patio in full sun. The pot is one of the self watering types. The Thyme plant loves this arrangement, and will completely take up the water from the reservoir every day. Sometimes, I water twice daily when the temps stay in the upper 90's. Since your plant is in a container and is being watered daily, or frequently, you will need to fertilize it (I understand others may disagree, it's what has worked best for me). I use a liquid fertilizer every two - three weeks during the growing season, and this method has produced a very happy and healthy Thyme plant.

• Lynn Nevins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tx. Ok so sounds like I definitely need to water more and maybe give it some fish fertilizer.

What do you think would happen if I cut back all the plant...might that stimulate better/new growth? What's there right now is a bit 'sparse' and just not very healthy looking... most of the leaves are a washed-out green with bits of yellow and brown...not that nice rich green that thyme is known for....

I am seeing some newer growth down at the base of the plant and it does have that nice rich green color....

• eibren
    11 years ago

It looks like you are using bark chips as mulch. That could be part of your problem. You might want to try a few pebbles instead.

For some reason bark mulch can be a problem for some plants.

Thyme likes it fairly dry (wait to water until the soil is almost dry) but for some reason seems to like a mulch of small pebbles or gravel. I think a rock mulch stays drier and protects the plant better from soil moisture.