Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
aphids all over cilantro and dill- can i still get seeds?

Posted by stickgarden z10 CA/ Sunset 21 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 07 at 13:06

I had let my cilantro and dill plants bolt, and they were developing lots of seeds- but today I finally realized what that black stuff was all over- aphids! I'm new to gardening, I guess I never saw them before. I pulled out the cilantro plant but then saw the ladybugs all over the dill, and left it alone. My question is- I would like to reseed a large area of the garden with the seeds from these herbs, but if they're covered with aphids and the black stuff, are the seeds ruined? I just hate to buy seeds when I already made some for free! I'm pretty sure I can't use it for coriander, that seems really gross.
What do I do next?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: aphids all over cilantro and dill- can i still get seeds?

How about washing the bugs off, then dry the seeds?! I just froze out some tiny bugs off my rose petals by putting the petals in a plastic bag and stuck it in the freezer. (Killed the bugs, but, still had to wash the petals, which wilted in the water. Doh! LOL)

o

Don't wash off the ladybugs! They're attacking the aphids for you! Collect them up and take them somewhere else in the garden. THEN wash off the aphids.

Put a little bag over the flowerhead (the toe end of pantyhose, maybe) and attach it securely but not too tight, then give the stem a shaking. If the seeds are ripe, they'll fall into the bag, making for easy collection. Make sure the bag is made of a material which allows IN the sunlight, and OUT the water.

o

I would not use the seeds from a plant that has been infested with critters. Plants will allocate some of their valuable energy resouces towards damage recovery. That means that they might not have the reserves to manufacture strong, productive seeds. There is only so much that plants can do with their carbon resources, and they always send them to where they are needed most. Damage control taps into the energy that may have been used for seed production.

I'm a FIRM believer that seeds should be harvested only from vigorous, healthy plants. Remember, seeds are nothing more than the future plant, in embryonic form. Give it the best beginning possible.

o

Rhizo- that was kind of what i was wondering- whether the quality of the seeds would be compromised. But does it make sense if I fight off the aphids on the dill, which isn't finished making the seeds yet? If I can successfully get rid of the bugs, then the seeds should be fine, right? I've rinsed off the aphids, haven't checked yet today to see if they're back. I'm brewing up some garlic oil (I found the recipe somewhere in one of these forums) to spray them with- I'm pretty obsessively organic, but I don't really know what I'm doing half the time :) There's only one way to learn, right?

o

As long as you can keep the aphids under control for most of your dill's life, I'd say that the seeds will be fine. I've had most luck with plain water and squishing....and using neem oil when the problem seems especially troublesome.

o

Never saw an single aphid on any of my dill here. If your just flicking them off plants, that will only allow them to reproduce more. Neem is useful for all plants and aphids will quickly die if they come in contact with the neem. Its an all natural product and has been used succesfully for many herbs as well as most all garden vegetables and fruits.

o

yeah, i thought that it was ironic- the only two plants they attacked (so far) are the ones that are supposedly not attractive to them. Whatever, the more I know, the less I understand. Just have to keep at it anyway!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here