Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

rosemary leaves are looking slightly 'mottled'

Lynn Nevins
11 years ago

I've never had luck with rosemary in the past. It would always eventually become dessicated, the stems becoming woody and the leaves turning brown, falling off, and the plant eventually dying.

I think the problem was that I didn't know rosemary needs plenty of room to grow. I'd also heard that rosemary likes being 'ignored'...don't pay too much attention to it or overwater it. Well it seems to have paid off. When I got my latest plant I immediately put it in a large pot. I've also

been paying less attention to it than I do my other plants. 3 months later this plant looks really good....apparently rosemary grows slower than other herbs but nonethless I can see it's grown a bit...filled out...and all the stems and leaves are still nice and soft and green....no signs of dryness or woodiness.

However, checking the plant today I am seeing tiny indications of some leaves being a bit mottled...not a perfeclty uniform dark green color...many of the leaves have little spots of lighter green/yellow mixed in. Could that be from still too much water? Maybe I need to water even less? It wouldn't be from water getting on the leaves, as I always water at the soil line only, and even then I only water at night.

Tx!

Comments (7)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Pictures are needed. Have you done a careful check for spider mites? They love rosemary, especially those grown in a container!

• Lynn Nevins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tx. Rhizo. Here's a photo (not a great one)...

What would I be looking for re potential spider mites...actual little spiders? .....ooops...wait a minute..! ;-) I just went out to really 'inspect' and...it was so easy to miss if you're not looking for it...I DO now see these TEENY WEENY little light green bugs.. are those the spider mites? And if so, what can I do to get rid of them? I currently have some Pyola and Soap Shield (natural bug killers)...I could try those, unless you have another suggestion?

Also, I had covered my soil with mulch. Should I NOT have done that? Might the mulch be creating an environment that the spider mites like? Should I remove the mulch?

Tku!!!

• Lynn Nevins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hmmm...just did some online research...maybe what I have is some other bug? It seems to say that with spider mites you usually see white/webby stuff on the plant. I'm not seeing any of that....

also, the little bug I am seeing ..the color is lime a very very light lime green color..and when I disturb the plant the bugs almost seem to 'hop around'...almost like they are flying a teeny bit...

11 years ago

You're probably seeing leaf hoppers. They also pierce the epidermis in order to suck plant juices. You might even have both! Spidermites can be present without obvious webbing.

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

vigorous spray with water under & top of leaves/stems
    repeat daily for a few days
    make observations
    if water alone doesn't take care of it you might need a soap + olive oil mixture

new leaves will be fresh & green when there are no more insects eating them

11 years ago

I have no problem with home remedies, but strongly believe that when one recommends such a mixture (no matter what it is), specific directions should be included. For example, what kind of 'soap' and how much? What ratio of soap to the olive oil? Is water or other liquid a part of this elixir? How does one apply this? Will it burn the plant in the sun? Doesn't the olive oil get sticky?

Anyway... we simply need to to a much better job at offering complete directions when suggesting pantry items for pest control. A lot of people could end up with dead or burned plants.

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

I didn't include the recipe because I wanted to be brief and assumed if the OP wanted to make it they would do a google search.

Here's the recipe I received from a grassroots gardening organization called Seattle Tilth:

Insecticidal Soap

1 - 2 tablespoons soap (non-detergent; Castile soap ok like Dr. Bronners)
    1 cup vegetable oil or light horticultural oil
    Shake well in a mason jar with tight lid. Store as concentrate.

When ready to use mix:
    1 teaspoon concentrate
    1 quart of water
    in spray bottle and shake well.

Soap sprays can also be harmful to beneficial insects so target carefully.