Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lemon-Mint: what parts are edible?

Posted by aightball NW Central Iowa (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 07 at 13:28

I have a lemon mint plant and one stalk has really taken off! It's got very pretty purple flowers on it, and I'm trying to figure out what's edible on the plant and what isn't. I've done some reading, but am more confused now than when I started =). I'd like to start picking some of this, and finding uses (other than tea, it's too hot for tea right now!) for it in the home.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lemon-Mint: what parts are edible?

With most of the mints, the leaves and flowers are edible.

For lemon mint, which is a combination of mint+lemon, I'd be thinking fish or chicken, mainly. But the threads below will yield many more ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: mint ideas

o

How about using it for iced-tea or flavor lemonade? Make a simple syrup using 2 cups sugar to 1 cup water, slowly dissolve over low heat. Bring the heat up and boil for three minutes. Remove from heat and add the bruised mint leaves. Allow to steep to cool. Strain through a sieve and discard the leaves. Pour the syrup into a bottle and keep in the refrigerator to use as needed, or go ahead and make yourself a big pitcher of iced tea and add the syrup to your taste.

I love making simple syrups from herbs. I do it with mint all the time. I've also make rosemary and basil simple syrups that are wonderful in tea. Basil simple syrup added to a lemonade is wonderful.

Also, I find that a little chopped mint, added to a fresh salad, is a nice refreshing way to brighten up the taste and the flavor is always wonderful. But then again, I do the same with basil. Always a nice surprise in a salad.

o

Lemon mint could be a Monarda; which tasted to me like a combination of listerine mouthwash and lemonade (without sour or sweet).

Lemon mint could be a Mentha
Several varieties with lemon flavors were bred by Westerfield and available from Richters & Fragrant Fields. Another lemon Mentha is available from Papa Geno's. I've had some of these mixed with tea; no yucky flavors with these Menthas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here