Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rosemary age??

Posted by petalstx DFW (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 13:49

How long can I expect my rosemary plant/bush to live? I'll need to start thinking of a replacement. One in backyard only survived 2yrs. This one in front yard is 7yrs old.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rosemary age??

What a beautiful specimen! Trim it back a little from time to time (more to allow light into the centre, otherwise those central parts will all turn brown and only the tips will be green - I can see some of that brown showing through, bottom left) and your plant should last about 40 years. Otherwise, do nothing different and enjoy your rosemary for a long while yet.

o

You can always do cuttings to start more plants as a backup, just in case. That is a very pretty plant you have there.

o

Have done cuttings and made small Christmas topiaries for presents. Had best luck with cuttings in floral foam.

o

Your Rosemary bush is very pretty. Our original (first) Rosemary Bush, which was started from seed, is 17 years old and still going strong. We have several others, all started from either layering, or taking cuttings from the original bush. To me, layering is the easiest propagation for Rosemary.

o

I did take pictures, but I'm not sure where they are, exactly, at present, however we did have a monstro-large sage shrub that was at least 20+ years old at our former residence prior to where we live now. It was a marvel indeed! Never gave it any special treatment. Just watered it generously during the summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here