Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plants to deter ants

Posted by mommie_rose 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 07 at 13:52

I have a number of herbs growing in pots outside my back door on my patio. We used to have a big ant problem, with thm getting into our house through the back door. Now all the ants are gone. As I put all the herbs out around the same time, I don't know which one(s) deter the ants. I'd like to know so I can leave the herb(s) by the door in the winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plants to deter ants

Could it be that you had put down some kind of poison for the ants you forgot about? Boric acid seems to kill ants and mixed with water and something sweet like sugar, makes for a great ant bait. Here, I see ants all over my garden, which don't seem to affect any plant growth. I am now growing tomatoes, peppers, dill, basil, string beans, peas, limas, thyme, oregano, rosemary, asparagus, onions, garlic, chives, fruit trees including apple, peach, raspberries, blueberries. None of these seem to be bothered by any ants.

o

Ants will often come and go according to the weather. They'll often come into the house if it rains, or in a drought, for instance.

If they're after termites, they'll invade, too. Once the population of termites has depleted enough not to be able to support the population of ants, they'll go hunting elsewhere.

Sage, pennyroyal, peppermint, rue, mint, bay, lavender, marigolds, pyrethrum, wormwood, yarrow or tansy will all deter ants.

If they got to your coffee grounds, they wouldn't like that, either. And they don't like vinegar, or chilli, or cucumber.

Boiling water isn't so good for them, either!

o

Thank you guys! I have mint and marigolds back there and I do put coffee grounds in my pots as well. I thought it may have been my echinasia.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here