Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's happening to my basil leaves?

Posted by swevrywhere OH (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 16, 10 at 13:59

A few weeks ago, I bought a couple basil pots at Trader Joe's. I've kept them in the pot, set them near the window where they get a lot of direct sunlight, and have been watering them every evening. Recently, I've been getting some sick spots (see http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/1b-b60iH20CS135dKmBpJQ?feat=directlink) on my leaves and am unsure if it's bugs or something else. Does anyone know what this could be? If so, what can I do to fix it?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic of basil leaves

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's happening to my basil leaves?

I would say you're watering too often. Only water when the soil starts to dry a little. Not bone dry, but less than moist. Watering every evening is not a good idea, as you can see.

o

Could watering too much really cause the leaves to get funky like that? Wild. Thanks for your help!

o

Could be the beginning if spider mites, but more likely depression from being kept indoors when all the other basils get to go outside. Basil does not like it inside, and leaves that form in bright light will suffer when deprived of their power source. Even in a sunny window, the plants are getting maybe 1/3 of the light they would get on "the other side". It really, really wants to go outside.

o

Looks like thrips to me.

http://www.google.ca/images?q=thrips basil&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

If you can't load that, go to google and type in 'thrips basil' and do an image search.

More info: http://www.hdc.org.uk/herbs/page.asp?id=7

o

Is there anyway that you could remove one of the affected leaves and take a good picture to send us? I think I see some patches of powdery mildew, but not really sure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here