Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chiurbangardener

mysterious rosemary

chiurbangardener
10 years ago

I need experienced help! We bought a bunch of burpee seeds this spring along with new pots snd soil. We have been growing the ten different herbs on our windowsill from seeds. All grew and with research and trial and error and tender loving care we have been able to harvest and cook with them. Except our mystery rosemary. It looks nothing like rosemary or anything else I can find on google. It kind of looks like a lousy spinach plant? Did burpee package the wrong seeds? I don't even have any spinach plants. I read about crossing and bolting but I'm not sure from pictures I saw that its the answer. If it had been grown outside I'd believe that it was a weed. But this has been indoors! I have included pictures. I haven't pulled it out yet because I have been so interested in what it is and why my rosemary did not grow. I can only post one picture i guess. You can cant see in the one picture that another seedling is growing in the pot that looks more like rosemary but I'm still not sure? Help!

Comments (13)

• zzackey
    10 years ago

It looks like a weed to me. I planted Garden Sage, an herb, last year and one of the seedlings turned out to be a pretty blue sage/salvia. That was from Ferry Morris seeds.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

That is not Rosemary, for sure. And as far as I can tell it is not any common herb.

• nickl
    10 years ago

FYI, rosemary is difficult from seed. If you want to grow it, you would do much better growing it from a plant.

Rosemary is widely available from many herb sources , such as on the web and at local herb farms. You can even find small potted plants in the produce department of some supermarkets. If you just want a plant or two, it really isn't worth the effort to grow it from seed

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I had some in a vase on the window sill for a month or longer. It rooted! Maybe someone would give you some cuttings?

• jaynine
    10 years ago

Yes, it's a weed (Amaranthus spinosus maybe).
    I personally don't find Rosemary difficult from seed; it's just slower than most.

• nickl
    10 years ago

Hi jaynine:

We obviously have different definitions for "difficult". It's more than just the seed germination time - which for rosemary is annoyingly long. It starts with the generally low seed viability, the long period you have to grow it before setting it out, all the care that the seedlings require after germination, etc.., etc. All that work for some plants that won't grow very big the first year and probably won't make it through the first winter anyway. That's our definition of "difficult".

Around here, if you want to have rosemary with some confidence that it will survive the winter outdoors, you can't grow it from seeds. You have to clone it from a known hardy plant or buy a named hardy variety.

• jaynine
    10 years ago

Hi nickl~Yes, it's true that the defiinition of difficult is relative to the one doing the defining. Every year I fail miserably at growing Melampodium, yet others do it so effortlessly. I'm just trying not to discourage anyone who wants to try growing from seed.
    You're lucky to be able to overwinter rosemary in the ground. We aren't able to here in CT...I don't think Chicago is suitable either...but we can enjoy it inside all year.
    Happy Gardening,
    Janine

• wally_1936
    10 years ago

Some gardeners just love to start from seeds. But Rosemary is easy from cuttings and a lot faster.

• JWW_1
    10 years ago

Another way to propagate rosemary is to take a limb that is close to the soil and bury it.

I have had a rosemary in a pot for about 4 years now (started from a plant). This spring I noticed a limb that was laying on the soil in the pot and found it "stuck" when I tried to move it. So., I gently scratched the woody branch, covered it with soil and left the leafy end to grow out. About a month ago I cut it loose from the mother plant and re-potted. I have a thriving 8" rosemary now.

• yukkuri_kame
    10 years ago

As Jaynine said, yes, looks like an amaranth of some type.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Some gardeners just love to start from seeds. But Rosemary is easy from cuttings and a lot faster

Easiest way is to buy one for a few bucks. You don't need more than one. I don't even have one. It grows everywhere as a shrub. Plus I personally do not have much culinary use for Rosemary.

• CarloMartin947
    10 years ago

Most gardeners won't mind if you snitch a little sprig of their rosemary plant and then take it home and set it in a clay pot (with drainage hole) full of sharp sand. Keep it moist while rooting, the time of which will vary according to the season. You can check for roots periodically and then plant out in your garden when well rooted. There are many different varieties of Rosemary... bushes 4' high or creepers that stay close to the ground. That's the beauty of making cuttings from known plants... you can know in advance what you are getting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alan Chadwick

• florauk
    10 years ago

"Most gardeners won't mind if you snitch a little sprig of their rosemary...."

I disagree. I should think that any gardener would mind if you 'snitched' anything. But few would say 'no' if you asked properly.

Rosemary really is very easy from cuttings and that's the way to get an exact copy of the plant you want.