Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bedtime_gw

Concept: One root system for better growth ... and, Mint Tree

bedtime
10 years ago

There are two concepts that I've thought of that pertain to mint, though I would think they could easily apply to other herbs as well. Please think specifically of mint while reading the information below.

Concept #1 - A single root system (one plant; NOT 2 or more plants) results in better growth

When growing mint it is best to have one single plant; a single root system for the entire plant. That is to say that if we grew a mint plant from a cutting we would make sure to never ever cut any part of the root system, even when repotting, else a single cut would create two plants, and no longer a single root system.

This allows the entire plant to share its resources, such as nutrients and water, wherever needed. A single root system ensures that there will be no fighting over nutrients and water. There is more vigor in a single root system, especially when the plant is trimmed down to the ground and resprouting new growth.

Ideas on this? Just a thought I had.... Next concept is just a fun one I had. It's more of an idea,

Concept #2 - How to make a mini mint tree

I have not done this. It's only an idea...

To do this it is absolutely essential that the root system be single, and not two or more plants, as mentioned above. One might grow the plant in a 5 - 10 gal pot (harvesting as one would like) for about 6 months to a year, until its root system is strong. As spring approaches and sun is at its best the entire plant pruned to the soil line. New growth will emerge. One stem, and only one stem, will be allowed to grow (though it would be easily possible to grow 2 or more stems and braid them together). All other budding stems will be pruned daily at the soil line. This will allow all the plant vigor to go into the one stem/branch. This main branch would be tied to a small pole to keep its growth straight up. We would let this branch grow until it flowered/seeded, and then prune just the flower and seeds. This will of course force the plants growth to split into two or more branches, which one (or more) branch will be cut and the other uppermost branch allowed to grow. This new and uncut branch will continue to be fastened to the pole as if it was the main branch, which it will soon appear as things mend and heal. When this new branch (now the uppermost of our new trunk) flowers, we just cut the flower, cut one branch (remember, it splits into two branches when cut so we need to cut one), and keep the other branch, allowing that uncut branch to continue along the pole, upward. We would repeat this process. The idea is that this main branch will become somewhat monterous after many months and become woody and tree trunk-like. That's my idea. I have no proof of this.

There will be stems coming out of all sides of this main branch/trunk, as can be expected. Occasionally this growth will be either pruned or redirected back into the ground to root and offer more support and nutrients to the plant. You could probably continue to redirect most of this growth into the soil below and just this growth would be enough to make a strong and stable trunk, like that of a tree.

Silly idea, perhaps. I would love input on this, big or small.

Comments (8)

• florauk
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

On your first point my main question would be why??? Mint doesn't need any help with vigour.

Regarding the mint tree concept, it sounds plausible but it would only ever be a small plant since mint is a perennial and dies to the ground in winter. A permanent trunk and branch framework can never be established. You'd need to do the training anew every year. How about giving it a go and seeing what happens?

• bedtime
    Original Author
    10 years ago

florauk,

Mint seems to have this issue of choking itself to death in containers. This is my main reason. I'd like to get maximum yeild from my plant if possible.

I am currently trying this with my chocolate mint. I'm trying two methods. One with a cleft graft, and the other with having the uppermost split branch continue straight up, as mentioned above. The current issue I'm facing is that all the branches seem to want to go to seed, and so they are too short to add any meaningful height to the main branch.

As for the point you assert of the plant dying each year, I have my mint in a fairly large container and it will come inside when the weather is no longer agreeable to it.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

There is no such thing as SINGLE ROOT MINT. Mints propagate through roots and grow more sprouts out of it. So you cannot effectively control mint's growth habit.
    Another thing is that a bushy mint is not going to be tender , will get yellow, rust, flower,

• bedtime
    Original Author
    10 years ago

seysonn,

I don't think I was clear. I meant that it is only one plant and that all the roots connected together. Even when mints runners grow new plants they are still connected to the mother plant and will always be connected unless that runner is severed.

"Another thing is that a bushy mint is not going to be tender , will get yellow, rust, flower,"

I don't quite gather what you mean by this.

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

I believe Seysonn is meaning that in order to force a tree appearance, you're keeping the older growth. Normally, you just mow the mint down and keep lots of nice young tender leaves. Older ones get more bitter, and are more prone to yellowing and rust. By trying to make a topiary, you keep the one older growth, and don't trim it the way it's needed. My rented townhouse yard is infested with mint, and it's quite rusty now that I haven't trimmed it back lately. Doesn't look pretty at all, just haven't had the time to trim, and it's not a kind I choose to use.

Sounds like an interesting project you're into, though I really don't see the point.

• florauk
    10 years ago

Hi again, bedtime. You didn't specify that you were growing the mint in a pot. In a container a plant cannot spread as in open ground so it will eventually cease to thrive unless fed and managed.

If you take your mint indoors in the winter it will need a good deal of looking after. Indoor conditions are not to its liking and by stopping it having its natural winter rest you will be stressing it considerably. You are working against the natural habit of the plant by attempting to make a permanent framework.

However, try your ideas out and let us know what happens. How about a picture?

• bedtime
    Original Author
    10 years ago

balloonflower,

I will be regularily trimming growth before it yellows.

florauk,

It will be going into a giant container (about 5 times in size) as soon as it is adaquately filled with roots.

The mint will be in a south facing window with direct unobstructed sun light for about 6 hours in a day, the rest of the day there will be indirect bright light (Approx 5000 - 20000 lux). I will also be supplimenting CFL light on top of that; a 45W bulb on each plant, which will be on 18hrs/day. This will generate an additional 10000-20000 lux for each plant.

As for the winter rest, I'm not sure. If I have to burn it out to find out what happens, then sobeit, but I dont want to leave this plant out all winter and chance its death.

Here is a picture of both plants:

• bedtime
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Next picture: