Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
favorite drought tolerant herbs

Posted by christiemoreen z8 Seattle (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 25, 05 at 14:50

I'm moving my rosemary, bay tree, sage, thyme, yarrow and oregano to their own garden. What other drought tolerant herbs would be good to include? (especially ornamentals). Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: favorite drought tolerant herbs

Now, I know drought means something different to different people, but it is hard for me to picture someone in Seattle knowing what a drought is! :o)
You could grow a lot of the sages... of many types, some are more hydrophillic than others. Do you want edible or medicinal? Lavender is "drought tolerant". There are other colors of yarrow as well.... Wormwood is drought tolerant but gets rather large. Self heal would be drought tolerant for you, but it spreads... Then there is pennyroyal, which should do well there. If you want medicinal, I could list tons, but edible, you've got most that I'd think of.

o

Ummm, in my humble opinion, Bay isn't as drought tolerant as some of the others mentioned.... maybe if it's roots go deeper.....

o

It does okay.... it likes being crowded... I have a lantana volunteer in the same pot with the bay...the bay does better, but you know, bays don't wilt, so maybe I just am not paying as much attention....
Hot down there? :o) So glad I am in Sacramento, not Fresno or Redding.

o

Hello, Heathen: I had a Bay totally die last year and I didn't even know it! The soil had just gotten too old, I think, and couldn't hold any moisture. And, yes, it has gotten a little too warm for a little too long here.

o

Thanks for the responses. We're actually having a drought now, but I just meant herbs that don't need extra irrigation. Summers are pretty dry here, but winter and spring are wet, wet, wet...

o

• Posted by Baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 29, 05 at 0:36

I think we took all your rain this year, which may be why you have the drought.

Epazote seems to be drought tolerant. It looks like a weed & has a pungent smell, though. Ornamental horseradish can take the heat, but it will need water.

o

Garlic chives are a great as they burst in the spring when there is moisture and then go dormant through the drought.

Hyssop is another good one.

Ive heard the winter savory is a good option too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here