Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basil varieties question

Posted by flower753 z5 OH (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 3, 09 at 14:51

I have two packages of basil seeds - one is labeled Sweet Italian and the other Genovese. I grew both but now have no idea which is which (or if there is actually any difference). I do not detect any difference in taste (and I really only ask for curiosity's sake). Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basil varieties question

Regular Basil (and there are many!!) are usualy taller than the genovese type. Genovese usually are at about foot tall at maturity and tend to bush out with smaller leaves, compared to regular basil which can grow up to 5 feet tall. Because yours are still very young, there is no way to know yet.

o

Italian Sweet and Genovese are names that are often used interchangeably. Technically basil can't be called Genovese unless it is grown in that area of Italy-like bubbly wine can't be called champaign unless it comes from that area of France. Trouble is, very little seed comes from Genoa anymore. So now they are supposed to call it Italian or Italian Sweet or anything other than Genovese.
I grew an Italian Sweet, two types of Genovese, and Genoa Green this year. Italian Sweet and one of the Genovese types were the same, the other Genovese type had more deeply "cupped" leaves that the first, and Genoa Green has a more "clovey" aroma than the others. I have also seen another type, simply called sweet basil, that is similar, but the leaves are lighter green and narrower than the others.

There are some subtle and not-so-subtle differences between the many "sweet" basil types. Some are different in taste, or aroma, or growth habit, or leaf shape, or leaf size, or leaf color.

The two types pictured look slightly different to me but that could be the lighting. The veins on the bottom plant look a bit thicker and the leaves slightly less puckered and a little flatter.

F. DeBaggio

o

Thanks for the replies and information! I have 4 plants and three are currently about 6 inches tall and the fourth is 12 inches. Two are "Genovese" & two are "Sweet Italian". (I also have 2 Spicy Globe and 1 Red Rubin).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here