Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spearmint Growth in 4 weeks after full prune

Posted by bedtime 6a Southern Ontario (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 15:19

I decided to cut my spearmint plant down to soil line in an attempt to force new and stronger growth. It seems to have worked. This is the picture taken 4 weeks ago:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spearmint Growth in 4 weeks after full prune

• Posted by bedtime 6a Southern Ontario (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 15:22

Amazing that it could grow this quickly. I'm going prune right down to the soil line and harvest it once temps lower to a consistant 13C, which will be in approx a 3-4 weeks. Then I'll bring the plant in and it will grow new leaves that are are accustomed to lower, indoor, light levels.

This is the plant 4 weeks later (today):

o

Thats incredible! That spearmint is very robust and healthy for sure.

o

Give them water, they'll grow.

o

Just an update for anyone interested:

It appears that the plant has not grown much from this latest picture. There have be changes though. The plant has went to seed on many of its stems. I have been pruning the seeded portions and using for my daily mint tea, as well as pruning the fading and dying foliage that often occurs in the shady areas of the plant.

The stems seem to be growing new stems, and the roots are continuing to grow. Amazing that the roots should be able to fill this entire container so fast!... The main reason why I haven't harvested is so that that plant can get as much energy from the sun as possible to grow the roots to fill the container before it's brought back in in about 5 days for the fall and winter season.

shane & seysonn,

thanx : )

This post was edited by bedtime on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 10:15

o

Wow! What a gorgeous plant! Thanks for sharing as I may have to do this to mine (currently indoors) since it's getting a bit too bushy.

Nerry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here