Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gum scented plant

Posted by idighosta 4 WI (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 15:26

Does anyone know what this actually is. It has a smooth gray/green upright leaf and smells kind of like spearmint gum or something. It doesn't spread like the fuzzy leaf mints. Grows into a 2' tall clump with mint like flowers in the fall. It was passed down through 4 generations. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gum scented plant

What is the size/scale of the leaves pictured? And can you share a picture of the whole plant? Thanks!

FataMorgana

o

• Posted by coing z6-7 PA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 14:11

Looks like costmary to me--pending size of leaf and what do the "mint-type flowers" look like?

Coing

o

2nd that, Costmary. Related to tansy, has a nice, fresh scent. Another name for it is "Bible Leaf" because they used to press flat the leaves and put them in between the pages of Bibles and other books for storage, the scent kept away paper-eating insects and helped prevent musty odors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here