Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavenderthyme_gw

What would kill German Thyme in just a few days?

LavenderThyme
10 years ago

I have a German thyme and rosemary planted in the same galvanized aluminum tub (its small, not the old wash your dog in a tub size.) Before planting them I punched about 15 holes in the bottom with a roofing nail.

A few days ago I harvested quite a bit of thyme but made sure to leave plenty of green and soft stems attached. The plant seemed to be fine. Then we had 3 solid days of rain. Our area has had an obscene amount of rain this year but the thyme seemed to be handling it ok.

On day 3 of rain, I moved the thyme under a ledge so it could dry out a bit. Then next morning 2/3 of it had turned to dark, bare wood. All the roots still seem well attached and the rosemary is just fine so I doubt it's water but maybe so.

I there any way to salvage the plant? Please excuse my drowning chamomile, it's the one bin I failed to punch holes in.

Comments (10)

• LavenderThyme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is an up close photo.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Not enough drainage, Either due to clogged small holls or improper medium that did not drain excess water, ...root rot. What did you use to fill that tub?

Oregano, Rosemary, thyme, sage... need a well drained soil, NOT too much fertilizer and water. Another thing, they like sweet(alkaline , pH = 7+) soil, preferably . ... and like sun, as much as 6 hours or more, though can survive with less sun.

This post was edited by seysonn on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 6:47

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

I agree with the lack of drainage. It will be interesting to see if the rosemary survives. So far it's looking okay, but it's a much woodier herb, and may not show damage as quickly as the thyme.

• LavenderThyme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seysonn, I used regular old potting soil from a bag. I think it was Scott's organic or someone's big name in the organic variety.

I realized after I planted that I should have mixed in some sand and some broken terracotta pots to the bottom of the bin for drainage.

I think I'll just go ahead and yank both out. I have another pot I can put the rosemary in with more suitable soil and drainage. Next year ill plan better!

• chervil2
    10 years ago

I think your German thyme is ill instead of killed. You should be able to save this plant with proper drainage.

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Forget about putting stuff in the bottom for drainage. Unfortunately, it doesn't work as you hope.
    Instead, fill the entire container with potting mix.

• LavenderThyme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jean001a, what I have is regular commercial potting mix in there right now. What would you suggest I for better drainage? My thought was that the broken pots would create some space so the holes wouldn't get clogged.

Chervil2, I haven't yanked it yet so maybe i can save the live bits! i actually had some forethought today and moved everything under the roof ledge so they will stay dry during tonight's storm.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Forget about putting stuff in the bottom for drainage. Unfortunately, it doesn't work as you hope.

@Jean

The idea about having "STUFF"at the bottom, SPECIFICALLY AROUND THE DRAINAGE HOLES, is very logical and simple to understand.
    If holes are too small, they will result in clogging and poor drainage, (as in this post case in point).
    Now we go ahead and make much bigger holes. If we do not put any filter/blocker (bunch of gravel) around that hole, the soil will EASILY will be washed out of that hole. So a handful of gravely around that hole will keep it functional. WE are not talking about filling the whole bottom of container several inches high here, but just around the drainage holes. Water will come out but not the dirt/soil

• woodswoman
    10 years ago

I am curious as to if the thyme made it. I have lost thyme to spider mites before and now when/if I water it, I give it a good spray to knock any insects off. Seems to be working. I haven't had a loss in the few yrs since starting that!

• LavenderThyme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's slowly making a comeback. Some of the areas I thought were dead have green sprouts! I did remove a large amount of "dead" material so it wouldn't rot.