Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john5555

help with basil

john5555
15 years ago

Hello. I recently started growing two basil plants (first time growing anything for that matter). I planted the seeds in clay pots, but I think I may have gone overboard with the number of seeds. There seems to be (I'm guessing, wouldn't really know for sure) too many stems popping up and some are growing over others.

How far apart should the stems be for them to grow healthy? Should I remove some of the stems? Is it possible to move the stems elsewhere?

Thanks.

Comments (27)

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

A single plant per 12 inches of spacing. Pull out all the new sprouts except maybne two of the biggest. Cilantro loves ikt opposite that. A single basil, depending on the type can rech 4 feet tall, and 2-3 feet around. Far too big for a little pot. Some basils are smaller bush, at a foot tall and a foot wide. If you have more pots, and plenty of space and soil, carefully loosen the soil and roots from the second most hardy one, and transplant. They are fairly hardy even at that stage.

• fatamorgana2121
    15 years ago

Once the baby plants have 2 to 4 real leaves (not the first leaves they sprout after germination) prick out those you want to move and plant them in their own pots or in the garden. If you just want to thin them and not replant them, snip carefully with scissors out the sprouts you don't want. Pulling can disturb roots.

I'm sure if you search google for "prick seedling" old Dr. Google will give you lots to read.

FataMorgana

• john5555
    Original Author
    15 years ago

seriously? only one per 12 inches? wow. the guy i bought the seeds from told me they should be spaced an inch or so apart.

thanks for the replies.

• Daisyduckworth
    15 years ago

For convenience when sowing seeds, you can sow them quite close together. As the plants grow, you'll need to thin them out by removing a lot of them. Pick out the best and healthiest only, and discard the rest. The plants will need to be a whole lot further apart than 12 inches. Basil can grow into a very large plant - much too fat for you to get your arms around!

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

Guess you havent seen much basil growing??

• twilightfire
    15 years ago

I'm growing basil, I planted them from seed in a pot without a drain hole. They are growing really well, I've got about 5 plants, 8 inches tall, each one inch apart. I've cut them as instructed, but should I repot them so that they have more room? I also noticed that the leaves are very "droopy" and the bottom leaves are yellowish. What should I do about those? I think I should transplant them, but I'm afraid to "cut" the roots or kill them. Dodo?
    They're growing right next to some slow-growing parsley, of which I'm not sure how to cut.....advice?

• cseim
    15 years ago

My guess is your basil needs some drainage. I'd either transplant them or drill some drain holes quickly.

Keep in mind, too, that basil can get big. Last summer we got a lot of rain and mine actually came up to my chin when it was held upright (they got droopy under their own weight). I'm nearly 5'9"!

I've never grown anything from seed, but my basil do well in the ground, in full sun, with regular watering. Don't forget to start pruning them early too so that they grow nice and bushy.

Chrissy

• tn_veggie_gardner
    15 years ago

Yes, only one per 12 inches, if not further apart. This is one basil plant & it didn't grow anywhere near the capacity just due to container size:

• john5555
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ive replanted quite a few of mine into two more pots to give them more room. recently though, some of my small plants have begun to bend over. my pots do have holes in the bottoms (am i watering them too much?).

also, im not quite sure im pinching the tops off correctly. should i take off just the very top (the flower i think you call it) or the flower and the stem going down to the next set of leaves?

thanks

• john5555
    Original Author
    15 years ago

tn, how long did it take for your plant to grow to that size?

• tn_veggie_gardner
    15 years ago

I didn't pinch anything off mine (well, except for some Basil about 6 or 7 times so far). =) I planted the seeds for that guy above around May 8th-10th (somewhere beginning of 2nd week in May). So, it's about 2 months old. If yours are bending over somewhat and they are in adequately sized pots (1 gallon or more per plant), check the soil to make sure it looks good (maybe a little MG Potting on top might be needed). Also, check to make sure the water is actually draining out of the watering holes. I water mine about every other day & keep pouring until water starts coming out the bottom. That way, the soil gets flushed regularly. Also, maybe, if they get real bad, feed every few weeks, but I didn't feed mine, so it shouldn't be necessary if all other items are good to go. Regarding the pinching, if you want to do that so it keeps growing or whatever, I'd consult another member. I never do that so I don't know the right way. I just let mine flower when it does. Hope this helps. - Steve

• john5555
    Original Author
    15 years ago

another question...ive noticed recently a lot of small (flying) insects in the soil of my plants. whats the best way to get rid of them?

• fatamorgana2121
    15 years ago

Less water. Let your plant sit outdoors for a while - let it get some good fresh air and sun. Just remember that like people, plants can be a bit tender in the sun if all they have seen of the outdoors is through a window. Try a sheltered location (from wind and sun) until it acclimates. I find the great outdoors is good for what ails most living things. ;)

(I'm assuming the plant is an indoor one since I've never saw those "small (flying) insects" in anything but an indoor plant.)

FataMorgana

• john5555
    Original Author
    15 years ago

really? its a sign of over-watering? i water the plants every other day until they start dripping out the bottom.

and yes, these are indoor plants that do not get much natural sunlight (just a lamp with a plant light).

• fatamorgana2121
    15 years ago

Watering every other day is entirely too much water for indoor plants. I'm surprised your haven't had more problems than bugs. Water maybe once a week. Let the soil dry some between waterings. More plants have died from being over watered than from being under watered.

And allow a vacation outdoors for your plants whenever possible!

FataMorgana

• john5555
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks fata.

does anyone know of a diagram online showing just how to pinch the branches off? i get the impression i am not doing it right. it seems often times when i do it, the tips turn brown and dont seem to grow afterwards.

• john5555
    Original Author
    15 years ago

edit:

does anyone know of a diagram online showing just how/where to pinch the branches off? i get the impression i am not doing it right. it seems often times when i do it, the tips turn brown and dont seem to grow afterwards.

• Daisyduckworth
    15 years ago

I suppose some people pinch off their basil, but my plants get big enough to qualify for the hedge-cutters! Seriously. I usually chop off about 30cm (a foot) at a time. Just chop-chop wherever the choppers happen to land. Never a problem with the plant bouncing back - usually it flowers again next day! It makes good mulch when you have that much of it! I spread it under the basil - putting back into the soil what the plant has taken out.

Meantime, if your plant is a baby, take a look at some of the pix here:

Here is a link that might be useful: pinching basil

• john5555
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks.

any idea as to why the tips of my branches (where i have pinched them off) turn brown and dont grow anymore?

• fatamorgana2121
    15 years ago

The stem tips above the dominant leaf bud or leaf bud pair since basil has an opposite leaf arrangement will turn brown. Clipping herbs for harvest and expecting new growth is much the same art as pruning. Harvest so you leave a nice healthy leaf bud or pair of buds to grow new growth from. LOOK at your plant before clipping. Make thoughtful decisions where to snip rather than blind chopping for best appearance and regrowth. Clip just above that bud/pair of buds to minimize your brown stems.

FataMorgana

• john5555
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks again.

i think i am slowly getting closer to being able to grow a healthy basil plant. although ive never tried growing anything before this, i never would have thought id have so much trouble. it seemed everything i read said basil is an easy plant to grow. i guess i shouldnt quit my day job.

• green76thumb
    15 years ago

ah, you're doing fine John. Practice makes perfect! I am growing a lot of basil plants. What works for me is to plant 1 or 2 seeds into a 2" diameter cup (w/ holes drilled in the bottom). About 90% or more of my basil seeds will sprout. I water every day. When the soil starts being dry by the next watering, I know the plant is ready to go into a 4" pot (and then likewise, later, to a 6" then an 8").
    I am having a problem with some of my other plants, with fungus gnats-what I think you are describing. The larva live in the soil and eat the tender young roots, so young plants and newly planted cuttings suffer the most. Making sure there is no water left standing in the trays and putting the plants in appropriate sized pots (not too much bigger than the plant) helps a lot. That is my guess as to why your plants were bending over (and probably died). Or-you may have damaged the roots in transplanting them.
    I trim my basils about every week once they're about 6" tall (and sell or use the trimmings). Fatamorgana gave excellent advice regarding how to do that.

• john5555
    Original Author
    15 years ago

what is the best kind of bulb to use in place of sunlight? i see they sell those blue-ish plant lights but i thought i read that basil likes fluorescent.

• green76thumb
    15 years ago

I use 4 foot long, 6500 K daylight bulbs in a shoplight. For each 2'x4' shelf, I use 3 shoplights (w/ 2 bulbs each). The plants are from 4-12 inches from the bulbs.
    6500 K daylight works just fine. Are you using long fluorescent bulbs, or a compact fluorescent? If you have to use compact fluorescent, just get the most watts you can. If you can choose by K, the more the better.
    In my experience, grow lights are expensive and unnecessary.

• john5555
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i was using one of those agro lights (compact), but that just burned out. it didnt seem to be doing much so i wanted to make sure i knew which was best before replacing it.

• wisteria23
    15 years ago

I water my indoor basil once a day, if I don't the leaves start to droop & curl.
    Question: as far as culinary use, can leaves with small brown spots still be used? They are very small brown spots on an indoor plant (bad problem with spider mites outdoors in Arizona). Thanks.

• MEL7300
    12 years ago

I have these oval, tiny beetles eating my basil. They can fly with hard shells over the wings. They do not have the head of a weavel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiny beetles eating my Basil HELP TU