Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tumblingtomatoes

Newbie-lavendula vera, angustifolia or lady??????

tumblingtomatoes
13 years ago

Hi all,

Newbie especially at herbs. Got a question:

We tried to grow lavendula angustifolia from seed from Burpee for 2 yrs running & failed totally, not 1 germinated.

Tried last year with lavender lady seed, chilled seed as instructed, etc....they did have good germination rates but seemed to die off as tiny 2 inch spindly seedlings at ground level-some one suggested it was damping off disease? So we want to try again.

We see Lavendula Vera on a seed rack at the store from Ferry-Morse, what is the difference in each of these? We live in Florida.

Would lavender lady or vera do okay in a fall or spring herb garden for us? We LOVE lavender!

Thanks everyone! :) Have a great day!

Comments (4)

• nygardener
    13 years ago

Lavandula angustifolia, English lavender, has the purest and best fragrance, in my opinion. Variants ('Munstead' and 'Hidcote') are commonly sold at garden shops.

Lavender likes cool germination temperatures. Try sprouting in cells or flats indoors ... or you may need to buy plants.

• barbe_wa
    13 years ago

You might try winter-sowing your lavender. I've had really fantastic results using this method -- got almost 100% germination.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing Forum - lavender

• lily51
    13 years ago

l.augustifolia is "true" lavender. Lady lavenda is a hybrid. I started my lavender in my greenhouse...augustifolia slow to germinate and not good %, but once it's in a pot and transplanted it does well.
    Lady lavenda germinated well, transplanted well. also blooms first year and has a nice fragrance.

Lavender does not like to be soggy. Would guess your soil is sandy, so it probably drains well, also, is not a good high humidity plant. Raised beds may be a good option, too.

Once established, it all grows well here in Ohio.
    Let us know what happens.

• nygardener
    13 years ago

I should mention I got excellent indoor germination of L. angustifolia by sprouting in cell packs under a standard humidity dome and fluorescent lights, with 1/8" (3 mm) holes drilled in the top of the dome to keep heat from building up. Because of the holes I had to mist with water every day or two. I still removed the dome for an hour every day to air out the trays. Germination took about 3 weeks (compared to 2-7 days for most annual herbs and veggies).