Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Genovese Basil Queston

Posted by tomatofiend 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 16:32

I have a question regarding the pruning of my genovese basil plant. I know that I should not let the plant go to seed in order to retain the flavor and amount of leaves. I'm a little unclear as to when the plant is considered to be flowering. I've seen obvious flowers and I've picked those off. But would you all consider this the beginning of a flower? I've attached pics. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Genovese Basil Queston

Anything that doesn't look like a leaf or a leaf bud is probably a flower, the start of flowers, or the resultant seed pods.

FataMorgana

o

Your basil is putting up bloom shoots. If you want to extend the harvest life, try cutting back hard and then give it some liquid fertilizer every couple of weeks. Especially if it is grown in a container. I do this multiple times per season, and the plants produce another batch of the tender and tasty deep green leaves.

o

Thanks. The weather's been so hot these things seem to bolt non-stop...

o

I do hope you are going to let at least one plant to go to seed as fresh seeds will provide you a lot more plants next year. Much better than any store bought seeds. They do not even need to be harvested over the winter if you just do not have time to harvest them once the dry out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here