Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help getting started growing celantro

Posted by dnraikes Arizona (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 25, 09 at 16:45

Hello,

My wife and I use celantro in our cooking occassionally, but the only way we can get it in the store is in big bunches most of which goes to waste. We thought it might be a good/fun idea to grow our own celantro, but not being gardeners at all, we just want some tips on getting started.

We are in Arizona, so after reading a number of the posts in this forum, I realize that the celantro won't do well outside during the summer months, so can we grow it inside in a pot or something similar?

How much water/light do the plants need?

Also from reading the posts, it sounds like once ithe plants go past the initial flat-leaf stage, that we should just pull them and go on to the next batch of younger plants.

As I said, we are real newbies, never having been very successful in growing anything particularly before, so any tips would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help getting started growing celantro

According to the University of Arizona, you can grow it indoors, but I have never had any luck growing it indoors. Here is a website on container growing plants in Arizona. In south Texas, where it is very hot, we don't plant cilantro until the fall. It is a cool-weather herb that is planted in the fall, and should survive until it gets hot which is generally in April and May. Then it bolts, dies and doesn't come back until the fall. You might want to check with your county extension agent to see if there are any master gardeners in your area that can help you with the problem.

o
RE: Need help getting started growing celantro

Plant multiple seeds in small pots, maybe 20 or more seeds per 2-3 inch pots. Plant succesive pots every 2-3 weeks for a continual supply. If indoor growing, give them plenty of sunlight if possible, but be sure they are kept cool indoors under 80 degrees. If they are not in sun for at least 8 hours per day, use plant lights and place these about 2-4 inches away from the pots and then plants. Leave the plant lights on from 6am to about 10pm. Use good quality seed starting medium, NOT potting soil or outdoor soil. The flat parsley shaped leaves last about 10 days after they start showing up. Add a little organic slow release fertilizer with nitrogen as the higher component once they start to sprout. DO NOT overwater!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here