Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thai basil

Posted by kal2002 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 13, 10 at 16:49

I planted a Thai basil almost 6 weeks ago. It was a short plant about 6" tall with flowers. I cut off all the flowers to 2 sets of leaves below the flowers. The flowers grew back and the plant remains short. Is this normal for a Thai basil? I bought it for the leaves but it does not seem to want to grow. Any suggestions how I can get it to grow bigger?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thai basil

My thai basil never grows very tall, definitely less than a foot tall. I grow it every year (variety "Siam Queen"). Maybe in a different climate it grows differently but that I can't say. I just suspect it is natured to be smaller than the behemoth sweet basils.

FataMorgana

o

How do you make a tea from tulsi basil I am currently growing it and would appreciate any suggestions sent to my email peruvian81rose@gmail.com

o

So maybe I should be growing more than 1 plant if I want to use the leaves often.

o

rose1981, thai basil is not tulsi which is another name for holy basil. And as far as tulsi tea, just like you would for any other leafy herbal tea. Just add hot water.

kal2022, yup. More than one plant is needed. I like using it in pho (Vietnamese noodle soup). Makes me hungry just thinking of it.

FataMorgana

o

Hi fatamorgana, I used it in a salad with balsamic vinegar, olive oil and garlic. Yummmm... I like its taste better than regular basil.

o

Oh, yeah! Thai basil blows regular basil away in my opinion too!

FataMorgana

o

Thai basil tends to sprawl wider than Italian basil and stay shorter. In my experience once Thai basil flowers it is very difficult to get it growing again. When mine starts making seed I just scuff up the soil around it and let it reseeed itself.

o

Maybe that is why my Thai basil is not growing much. I did not let it go to seed but it still remains pretty small.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here