Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafting Herbaceous Stock

Posted by ThatAdeniumGuy (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 16:57

Although grafting is an age-old technique, herbaceous grafting is a fairly recent invention.

This is an excerpt I found years ago while googling cocktail tree. It's the concept of a cocktail herb. Basically take those pomato's (tomato-potato) you see everywhere and multiply it on a larger scale. I.E. Brussel sprouts and kale on one plant, etc...

"Brassica oleraceaseems like a particularly good candidate for such an experiment. This one species includes cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and kale. Yes, all these plants are cultivars of the exact same species"

Has anyone seen something like this done before, for sale. mentioned by another, etc,..? I'm not going to try making one, but would be interested in buying if their is a source. I can't find much info so all helps.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafting Herbaceous Stock

It would be a fun experiment but other than that I don't know what the purpose would be. The kale/sprout example would be a lot of work just to get two vegetables on one plant which are already easy to grow individually. Plus they are discarded after a season anyway. As for herbs which ones do you think would be good candidates? Maybe a couple of different lavenders on one plant? It hardly seems worth the effort on anything which does not form a permanent woody structure. You'd be pulling up or pruning back your work every season.

As for the Pomato, or TomTato (TM) as it's known here. It took Thompson and Morgan 15 years to develop and they want 14.99 ($25) for a single small plant. It's a rip off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here