Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tushaar_gw

Mint plant dying

tushaar
11 years ago

I am a college student and recently decided to grow some mint in a pot. My initial attempts with cuttings from the market failed (grew a few roots in water and then died), so I acquired some mint plants from a relative. They were relatively large (over 12 inches), and I took some of the soil they grew in, packed it around the root ball and got it by flight.

I planted it around 2 weeks ago in some local soil. Unfortunately, where I study, the soil is red and not very good quality. Nevertheless, I had heard mint was quite hardy, so I planted it anyway.

Initially, a few leaves became yellow and died, but on the whole the plant seemed to be doing alright. It had decent sun for 4-5 hours daily. Watered once in two days.

In the last 3-4 days, a lot of leaves have started turning brown at the edges and seem to be dying off. There are a lot of new buds on the lower parts of the plants, but the browning is definitely accelerating. Attached is a picture.

More info: it's been raining for two days. I've kept the plant dry but sunlight is in very short supply.

Can this plant be saved? Better soil?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida