Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anybody grow bloody dock??/Roman Chammomile question

Posted by perennialfan273 zone 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 7, 09 at 17:14

When I saw a picture of this online, I just had to add it to my herb garden. Is it easy to grow, is it good in salads (I've heard it's edible)?? What sort of soil does it like?? I want to know everything about this herb, and if possible, get a start of it.

Now, the chammomile. As you may or may not know, chammomile is well known for it's calming effects. What I'd like to know is, is it safe to give to dogs?? The reason I ask is because this year, on the Fourth of July, my dog began freaking out when the fireworks started, but I thought that if I gave her some chammomile she might calm down. If so, I'd REALLY like to get some of this for my garden. She can be quite destructive when she's nervous, and I'm hoping to put a stop to this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anybody grow bloody dock??/Roman Chammomile question

When your pet suffers from stress or anxiety, try a combination of the extracts of Oats, Valerian, and Chamomile. (Check with your vet for correct dosage.) Rub a little Lavender oil near the animal's muzzle, or place some on a cotton pad in the pet's bed or in his sleeping area. And remember that if you are stressed, the animal will be too, so sniff a little of that calming Lavender for yourself as well.

Plenty of info on Bloody (red-veined) dock on the Web. See link.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Rumex+sanguineus

Here is a link that might be useful: bloody dock

o

I have bloody dock growing in the garden. It's pretty, a hardy perennial, stays quite small, easy to grow, takes a while to get established. I bought plants from Richters.

o

I got seeds last year from Thompson & Morgan (I think) and direct-sowed it into the garden bed. Came very well. It came back this year and is growing well, even after moving it. Attractive foliage. Doesn't seem to require much tending, care, or special soil. Edible but taste-wise I think there are better things for the salad bowl. I'd use its leaves as garnishes and for color rather than taste.

FataMorgana

o

Bloody dock grows better for me with some shade. It died out after 2 years when in full, all day sun. The young leaves are more tender and better suited, IMO, for culinary use.

As for calming your pet, I would recommend training your dog to be calm rather than trying to medicate, naturally or otherwise. Note the incredible stuff the Dog Whisperer can do with aggressive and/or anxious dogs-no meds needed.

F. DeBaggio

o

I have been growing it for several years now, mainly because it is pretty and self-seeds. I came here to see if I can eat it, nice to read your comments, I will give it a try by using the new seedlings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here