Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best herb books

Posted by lenahall 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 17:18

i'm looking for suggestions for good herb books for a beginner. I saw on one post that Homegrown Herbs by Tammi Hartung. Any others?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best herb books

I got jekka from a recommendition from someone on here flora_uk I seam to remember

o

I recommended the Tammi Hartung book in another post. Still love it for basic growing/use info.

If you're into getting serious culinary with fresh herbs, then I also like The Herbfarm Cookbook by Jerry Traunfeld. Most of the recipes aren't for general home cook, more suited to restaurant, but there are bunches of charts on uses of herbs that are very useful, and some basic recipes for such as herbed sauces, creams, sorbets, etc.

o

All of the herb books in our library are the classics.

For up-to date information, we rely on publications by the Herb Society of America. Some of them are freely available to the public on the HSA website, but for others you have to be a member..

Here is a link that might be useful: The HSA'a Essential Guide to The Beginner's Herb Garden

o

thanks, y'all!! i ordered the hartung and jekka books from half.com and will def check out the hsa's guide!!

o

What are you looking for in a book? Growing, recipes, medicinal and other uses as well as culinary, a combination, ? It would help us suggest titles.

FataMorgana

o

i would say i'm looking for a good combination of all uses as well as optimal conditions for them and maybe some ideas on companion plantings...

o

I recommend the internet..it is big, it is free and it is the best encyclopedia

o

But books that provide a good reference are so valuable and make it soooooo easy to access information ---- especially for new herb gardeners.

For 1 all around book, I do love New Encyclopedia of Herbs & Their Uses by Deni Bown. See if you can pick up a used copy. It has both growing and using info - including culinary, medicinal, dyeing, etc. herbs. Having info about more than just your standard kitchen herbs is so wonderful.

FataMorgana

o

thanks fatamorgana!! i'll check those out.
and there is nothing like the smell of a book!!

o

Ah, the smell and the feel of the page.... And curling up with a good book, is like sharing a cup of tea with an old friend. It is priceless.

Good general references on gardening and seed starting are very useful as well to the herb gardener.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here