Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green larvae all over garden

Posted by Morkie6 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 17:35

Hello there. So, I planted calendulas for salves and salads and because they are very pretty. Well, they were growing at a fine rate and started producing flowers, but then I noticed the holes. Of course, the first thing I did was check underneath the leaves. What I saw was hundreds of tiny green caterpillar looking bugs nibbling away! At first it was all right. I picked them off and started spraying the leaves with diluted dish washer detergent and I had no more troubles. Occasionally I'd find one or two on a dill plant or a bush bean, but they never many. I went on a month long vacation, leaving my garden in the hands of my trusted neighbor and I told her to spray the calendulas. Well about 3 weeks into it she said that tiny green caterpillars tore apart my cucumbers, cilantro, an Lemonbalm! I can't possibly spray them all...any ideas on ways to deal with these with no harmful pesticides or gruesome caterpillar murder? Perhaps plants that repel them? I'd really appreciate the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green larvae all over garden

this might be of use to you

http://toadstoolponds.wordpress.com/2007/12/07/why-plant-marigolds-in-your-vegetable-garden/

o
RE: Green larvae all over garden

I'd spray with BT.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here