Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gosssamer

What's happened to my basil?

gosssamer
9 years ago

Hi, does anyone know what's eating my basil, and how to stop it?

I'm in northern NJ, and the basil was doing quite well. It's now starting to wither, and it appears something is eating it.

Please see attached image. I had a more wide-angle image, showing my whole garden, but it appears you can only attach one image at a time?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Comments (7)

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Maybe water on the leaves and sunburn? It doesn't look like bug holes to me. I've grown basil for years with no bug problems.

• nattydoll
    9 years ago

The holes look like it's burned. The darkness looks like it is possibly lacking in water, so that's probably what it is - sunburn.

How often do you water it?

What method do you use for watering? It should be watered close to the soil level, to avoid splashing the tops of the leaves, because in the hot sun, that will burn them faster.

• gosssamer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much guys - that was it. I was aware that issue could occur, and thought I was watering early on enough in the day, but apparently not.

I have to get a diffuser for my hose - right now I only have a nozzle with a "rain" ability.

• Vince77
    9 years ago

I also live in North Jersey and have been growing basil for many years. This is something different. I first thought it was a bug. So I grew a second crop from seed inside with potting soil right from the bag. Everything was good for the first month or two but now the bottom leaves exhibit those spots you showed.
    It is NOT sunburn since I do not wet the leaves when watering.
    My best guess is that it is an airborne fungus and the bottom leaves are affected first because they are the oldest. I do not know what it is but I have ruled out insects, soil, sun and watering.

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

Basil downy mildew is transmitted via spores, and is sometimes mistaken for sunscald.

However, if your plant looks like the OP's plant, that doesn't really look like basil downy mildew (and in her case it actually WAS sunscald).

Do you have pics you can post of your plants?

Here is a link that might be useful: Basil Downy Mildew

This post was edited by zensojourner on Thu, Oct 2, 14 at 13:02

• Vince77
    9 years ago

Here is a close-up of a couple of leaves.

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

I hate to say it - but that does look like basil down mildew.

What does it look like under the plant's leaves?

Before we get all panicky and assume the rest of this posting has any bearing - can you contact your local extension agency and find out if they can/will help you to identify the problem?

Thai basil is reported to be resistant. Sweet basil is reported to be particularly susceptible. Lemon basil is reported to show some resistance.

Apparently it can, or could, be treated with fungicides. This is a powerpoint presentation of research on treatments that might give some treatment options.

Otherwise your only option is to pull the plant and destroy it.

Look for steam treated seed, that might help also.

My guess is the soil needs to be discarded if you had it in a pot - and not into the compost. I'm not sure if soil sterilization is either necessary or helpful if you've had it in the garden. They are recommending against planting basil in the same locations again, and the spores apparently will last in the soil for up to 8 years.

What to do after you find basil downy mildew

Here is a link that might be useful: More on Basil Downy Mildew

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz