Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When does lavendar bloom?

Posted by gborosteve (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 28, 06 at 17:59

My lavendar is thriving. I must have over 100 long, beautiful spikes of it. When does it normally bloom? I can't wait!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When does lavendar bloom?

June, and again at the middle of August for the intermedia and most of the English cultivars.

o

I guess I'm waiting on August then. Thanks for the info. They were planted as seedlings in late April. They've grown quite big and healthy looking. And smell wonderful, even without their blooms. It's one of the plants I cannot resist running my fingers through when I'm in the garden. That and rosemary.

o

In warmer areas, lavender will begin flowering in early spring. The cooler the area, the later it will be, and the shorter the flowering time. First-year plants don't usually flower at all, and sometimes it can take 2-3 years or more. Much depends on your climate.

o

Yup...lavender usually blooms the first year here... but I think it's because of our heat. I think the 111/44c heat stunted this new dwarf lavender I got... but it's hard to tell.... it's a dwarf. :D

o

Well, if it's heat that it needs, then I've definitely got that going for me. 95-99 here and pretty much constant. Hope mine blooms first year like yours heathen1. If not, I'm still enjoying the foliage and smell. Mmmmmmmmm. Three things I can't resist the smell of in the garden (and probably more if I thought about it) are lavendar, rosemary and the sweet, sweet lemony smell of fresh basil.

o

Lavender will bloom the first year, especially if the temperatures are up. Also just a little bit of occassional stress, like allowing to wilt slightly, speeds up this process. Here in Florida I get blooms on plants that are still babies ( 4" +/- ). Another key is the soil moisture. Keep on the dry side.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Herb Garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here