Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with plant identification, is this sage? pics inside

Posted by smonky 6 Western NY (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 07 at 18:02

I got a package of seeds that said "Sage" from a local garden center. They were mass producted (commercial) seeds. However, I've never planted Sage before.
We planted it, and what came up does not smell like sage or look like any Sage photos I see. It's now flowering and I have no idea what this plant is.
Can you help me tell what the heck this is?

v1

v2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with plant identification, is this sage? pics inside

If it is sage it is not garden or common sage, it could be Salvia but I dont think it is.

o

There are many different varieties of sage, but it's not one I've ever seen. I always ask...what does it smell like? If you've ever smelled sage, there is no mistaking it for anything else.

The blooms don't look like sage blooms either, but again...there are many varieties.

o

• Posted by smonky 6 Western NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 11, 07 at 20:22

Yeah, thats the thing, it doesnt really smell like anything.
I wonder what the heck this is that I planted.
Whatever it is, its growing tall.

o

I have 4 varieties of sage in my garden. None of it looks like this. Plus, there is a sage smell when you just brush by the leaves. I don't know what you're got, but I am pretty sure it's not sage.

o

Wed, Jul 11, 07 at 21:32

The only other thing that could have spilled in this area was Oregano. And this does not look like oregano either

jeeze :)

o

It is neither a Salvia (Sage) or an Oregano. It looks to me like a radish that has bolted.... or perhaps one of the Cole Crops (Cabbage family).

o

I agree, cearab, sage is like rosemary, when you brush by it you get an unmistakable smell. I can never resist grabbing at the sage and rosemary and putting my face in the basil, lol!

If it doesn't smell like much of anything, it definitely isn't sage. I'm in agreement with not oregano, either.

o

Doesn't look like sage to me.. Sage that I grew was an oval shaped leaf. The photos look a little more like a tomato leaf, but thats not what it is either, due to the white flowers.

o

The leaves and flowers look like rocket (arugula) to me - looks like the rocket I grew, anyhow.

Pic in link below (not my garden).

Here is a link that might be useful: Arugula

o

Looks like rocket to me, too. (arugula) Taste a small part of a leaf. Rocket is a peppery, pungent flavour - the older leaves much more robust in flavour than the young ones. Flowers are edible, with a similar flavour. Use it like lettuce or spinach.

Having said that, it's always my advice to take an unidentified plant to a professional source BEFORE you eat it! Too many poisonous plants closely resemble safe ones to take a risk. A good nursery, especially a herb nursery, or a botanical gardens, or your local agricultural authority will all be able to identify any plant for you, sometimes at a cost.

Also, if you still have that label/packaging, write a letter to the retailer and producer of the product, and/or go to the place you bought the seeds, and jump on somebody's chilblains. Customers often change labels in nurseries, but it shouldn't happen with seed packets! COMPLAIN. LOUDLY. Would be nice(!) if they changed the label of angelica to hemlock, wouldn't it?

If you look at a sage flower (couldn't find a pic of the seeds)you'll see a picture of some sage flowers. Inside, if you look closely, you'll see a little round, blackish dot. That's the seed. It'll start off green, then go beige and brown, then shiny black.

Seeds form in small receptacles which appear after flowering at the bottom of the calyx, usually 4 seeds per calyx. Once mature, they are black and can easily be knocked out of the receptacles. This usually occurs once the flower stalks turn brown.

Here is a link that might be useful: rocket seeds

o

Yep, that's arugula that has bolted. It's delicious when it's young but won't be very good eating now.

o

Mon, Jul 16, 07 at 10:18

Thanks for the help everyone, i just pulled it and discarded.
I'm a little confused how I got herb seeds and grew arugula. :)
I will be transplanting a dill plant in its place.

o

Definitely, that is arugula. I love the stuff. I have been growing it for years. It is classified as a pot herb. The young leaves are good in salads and sandwiches. The more mature leaves can be cooked. I like to add arugula to soups and stir fries. It has a spicy, smoky flavor.

o

That's a lettuce called arugula! Quite yummy in salads and stir fries. I grow it in my salad garden.

o

Just for accuracy, Arugula, although a salad plant, is not a lettuce. It is in a different plant family, the Brassicaceae. lettuce is in the Asteraceae.

o

AND the winner is: (The envelope plse.!) ARUGULA,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here