Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange question

Posted by dinajean upstate SC -Zone 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 18:14

I got 2 basil plants from a big box store & they are in my windowsill doing well. They are separated by a window frame if that matters. Every morning I wake up & open the curtains, the one on the left has black "seeds" scattered all over the windowsill. The right one does not. I googled basil seed info and I thought that seed only comes from the flower. THERE ARE NO FLOWERS on my plants. I rarely dab in growing fresh herbs, so I figured y'all would probably know in an instant. Are these seeds and how if there are no flowers? THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange question

How long have you had them? It's possible you bought them and they had already flowered and were developing seeds.

o

CaraRose seems to be correct.

o

• Posted by dinajean upstate SC -Zone 7b (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 6:23

I have had them about 3 weeks. There are no flower stalks anywhere, so where are the seeds coming from?

o

A picture of both the plant and the "seeds" would help to figure out what's going on.

Rodney

o

Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 8:16

Pardon the dog hair & dirty windowsill :)

o

Are u sure they are seeds, and not bugs or caterpillar droppings?

o

I have never seen seeds fall off a basil plant ever. They stay on the plant even after it has died completely.

o

Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 17:11

I have not seen any bugs or caterpillars. They are hard and about the size of poppy seeds. Hmmm..

o

• Posted by nickl Z7a NJ (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 18:07

I can't tell you what those are, but they are definitely NOT basil seeds.

Basil seeds are brown and slightly curved and pointed, with stripes. Very different from whatever that is.

Here's an enlarged view:

(My bad - original post pointed to the wrong photo - that was photo of caraway seeds- - this is basil - got to be more careful before I hit the submit button)

This post was edited by nickl on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 23:07

o

Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 18:18

Right! not even close!!! I put the plant outside on the patio table.....I'm real curious now as to what the heck they are! Wonder if it is some kind of critter that I carried home from the box store?? I will check the sill in the AM and see what is there. It is raining now outside, so I don't know if I will find anything on the patio tables in the AM around said plant. The other plant has nothing. BTW the plant in question seemed to be more weakly than the other, so maybe it is a little critter of a sort I cant see??

o

So Weird! My basil seeds are small and black. Yours look like wheat or barley seeds. I have grown them from these seeds, so I know I'm not freaking out! How the heck can a basil plant have seeds that big???????

o

My basil seeds are small and black too (I just checked).

nickl, are you sure the seeds in your picture are basil? To me they look like something from the carrot family. Even your description sounds like something from the carrot family.

Rodney

o

Those are no basil seeds, they are droppings from someone who's eating your basil. If you don't see anyone during the daytime, try to catch the culprit at night.

o

possibly mouse (?)DROPINGS !!!, agree withgvozdika

o

Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 5:59

I am pretty sure there is not a mouse in here, my dog would go nuts, but I agree it may be something eating on the plant, there are a couple chewed leaves, but only on the one plant (which is now outside). What other kind of critter (bug) could make droppings that look like that?

o

•Posted by dinajean upstate SC -Zone 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 5:59
I am pretty sure there is not a mouse in here, my dog would go nuts
Even cats cannot cope with the mice, never mind a dog.
Just set up a trap(with some yummy cheese and peanut. You will find out. (somewhere that your dog can not reach)
The evidence is there. Probably it was a baby one..hehheh

o
New Picture!

Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 7:34

HA! Rained all night but did not wash away evidence. If it was a mouse...why would he follow plant outside instead of staying inside with the other basil plant (which still has no "seeds" or "droppings". So I found a leaf chewed even more, some droppings on the leaves & some "whatever" on the table, which are not hard & black like they were inside, but rather squishy & yucky green when squashed. Still don't see a critter though. Now what do y'all think?

o
solved!

Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 8:04

Guess who lurked out into the open?? I sure am glad I did not make a protein shake with basil "seeds"!!!LOL

o

Ho ho ho. I was wrong for blaming the mice. Innocent until proven guilty. Sorry !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here