Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What the heck is wrong with my chives?

Posted by turquoisegardenia Montreal, QC (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 13, 10 at 19:08

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone might be able to offer any insight into what's going on with my chives. I began all of my seedlings (chives, basil, cilantro, peas, peppers) in March and everything's taken off except for the chives. They were fine for the first little bit, but I haven't seen any growth at all since late April. Nada. Right now they just look like sparse, thin, underveloped clumps of grass. they aren't even thick/strong enough to hold themselves up! What gives? I have them in the same pot as my other herbs (basil, cilantro, garlic, shallots, dill) which is a coir, Miracle gro potting soil, compost and composted cow manure blend (about 3-3-3-1 respectively), I water whenever needed and give it some organic veggie food once a month... I know you generally don't get much from chives the first year but this is utter stagnation! Is this normal? Thx! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What the heck is wrong with my chives?

How big is your pot? Can you post a picture?

Chives are perennials, unlike the others you're growing, and they like to get established with plenty of root room. If they're competing in a small(ish) pot with all those others, they're probably cramped.

If they're flopping over, they might also be shaded by the basil, and so not getting enough light.

o
RE: What the heck is wrong with my chives?

Chives look lush in the spring and rather meager later in the season.

But if I understand what you have correctly, you have a bunch of different herbs in the same pot. Bad idea. Put them in their own pots so they can have the sun, water, and soil requirements that they need. I'm always puzzled why everyone thinks it is a good idea to have different plants with different needs all in the same pot.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here