Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are all marigolds edible?

Posted by ourfamilygarden 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 31, 06 at 19:11

Okay, I have 2 questions about marigolds:

1. Are all marigolds edible?

2. Is there a site that shows the different varieties, so I can tell which I have?

Now, I've reviewed many sites, and I'm as confused as when I started! LOL.

There were sites that said that pot marigolds and calendula were edible. Then, another site said, "The edible varieties are not related to the plant called pot marigold or calendula."

There were sites that said all marigolds were edible, but only some were good for cullinary usage. Those sited as good were: tagetes signata/pumila/tenufolia.

Alas, I read about the history of marigolds, and found that there are three central varieties: French, African and triploid marigolds.

Help, please? :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are all marigolds edible?

I think this link will be helpful and is worth booking:
http://whatscookingamerica.net/EdibleFlowers/EdibleFlowersMain.htm

o
RE: Are all marigolds edible?

The short answer is that NOT all marigolds are edible. I don't know all the species, but as a very broad rule of thumb, opt for Calendula officinalis as the one considered the edible and medicinal ('official') marigold. It's also called Holigold, Pot Marigold, Bride of the Sun, Summer's Bride, Sun's Gold, Ruddes, Ruddles, Marygold, Marybud.

The French Marigold, Tagetes patula, is not edible. It is used in companion planting for insect and nematode control.

Of the Gem Marigolds, only Tagetes tenuifolia is edible, although some claim that T. signata and T. pumila are also edible. Since there seems to be some disagreement about this, I'd suggest caution. I've seen quite a few reference where T. signata is 'harmful if eaten in large quantities'. I've seen one or two references to the African Marigold (T. erecta) being edible.

Mexican Marigold Mint, also known by many other names including Winter Tarragon, Root Beer plant, Yerba anis or Cloud Plant (Tagetes lucida)is edible.

Some people claim that all marigolds are edible, but that some of them taste VILE! I daresay you should be guided by your nose and taste-buds with marigolds. If it smells and tastes like an insect repellent, then that is probably the best use for it!

Me - I stick with reliable Calendula and no other except for Tagetes lucida which I use as a substitute for French Tarragon. And I don't believe everything I read on the internet or in books. I prefer to play safe. When in doubt - don't.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here