Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving Basil Seeds

Posted by johnweh 10 South FL (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 6, 10 at 19:13

In past years I would buy store bought basil plants. When they went to seed, they would drop their seed in the same pot
I grew them in & I'd get a volunteer come up in a few weeks. This season I'm trying to save the seeds & grow them in new containers, but none of them have germinated in the 3 weeks since I've planted them. The seed stalks were left on the plant until they turned brown. I then put them in a brown paper bag for 2 weeks before they were planted in 4" pots. The seeds came from Thai Basil & Red Rubin Basil. Any suggestions on getting these seeds to germinate?

John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving Basil Seeds

Can't help you with those varieties but Sweet Basil do fine even when left out all winter and planted the following spring. Sweet Basil won't drop their seeds so there is not hurry in harvesting seeds and they seem to sprout better than purchased seeds.

o
RE: Saving Basil Seeds

I've saved basil seeds many times. The only thing I can think of is that you didn't leave them on the plant long enough. Even when the heads appear dry, I usually just leave them there. Basil seeds will, in my experience, turn dark even when they're not full and plump. Yours may not have matured properly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here