Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Edible aloes?

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 19:31

Are there other aloes such as what is commonly called soap aloe (Aloe maculata, I think) that are edible? I have lots of it and use it for burns. It works very well for that, but I'm not sure if it is safe to take internally. I could find nothing on the internet concerning this question.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Edible aloes?

Aloe vera (A. barbadensis) is the source of herbal remedy aloe juice. It cannot be eaten out of hand and must be processed.

o

Rhizo, thank you! But -- uh oh, it's being touted for use in smoothies. They do recommended processing it somewhat in the recipe below by advising that you let the yellow sap drain out and freeze it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aloe vera smoothie recipe ...

This post was edited by roselee on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 23:30

o

I've tried to get the gel from my aloe vera for smoothies. It sort of worked... The sap is a serious problem though. It's super bitter, absolutely horrible tasting. According to a Youtube video I watched, you can minimize the sap by using a very sharp knife and cutting the gel out (like filleting a fish), carefully avoiding extra nicks in the skin. You'll still want to rinse the gel off so it helps to have larger chunks. Personally, I didn't think it was worth the trouble.
Also, I'm not sure but I think the sap is supposed to be a laxative, and NOT the gentle, non-crampy kind. No first-person experience as the taste alone was pretty toxic.
Really hope someone here can give you a more positive look at it though!

o

Liligoat I really appreciate you giving us your experience. I've never even tasted aloe vera except for the bottled juice, but I've decided trying to use it raw is not worth it either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here