Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dill issues

Posted by 1sthouseslc USDA 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 19:40

I am having problems with my dill plant. It was growing wonderfully until I pruned it and dried what I cut off. Since then it has just grown tall and keeps going to seed. There is no additional growth to bush out, and there is nothing more to cut and dry. It is in a large patio planter with some Thai basil that is doing well. It gets the afternoon sun for about 6 hours a day, more sun seemed to do it more damage. I water when the soil is dry about an inch down.

Any ideas on what is going on?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dill issues

Dill will go to seed when the weather gets warm. It's at the end of its life.

o

Yup. Cool weather annual. Plant more.

FataMorgana

o

Wow, I'm a little slow I guess. I never knew that dill was an annual. Poor dill! I've been keeping it alive when it's trying to die. So, if I let it seed could I use those to replant? I bought it as a plant since my previous attempts at growing from a seed didn't go well in the heat.

o

You can let it go to seed. You can also try hitting the local garden places getting rid of their seeds for the season - get seeds for little $$. August is a great time to start sowing seeds for fall harvests.

FataMorgana

o

Almost any home grown seeds are better than store bought. You should get better results from harvesting your seeds than any other source,

o

Length of growing season left is an issue for Zone 5. If seeds can mature in time, they can still be planted or you can buy seeds that are clearanced priced in the stores and save the seeds that still have to mature on the plant for spring. Us Northerners are quickly approaching or have past (depending upon what it is) our last planting dates for fall harvests.

Home grown seeds are **NOT** better than seeds bought from a commercial seed grower if they are the offspring of a hybrid plant. Those do not come true to the quality of the parent plant and are often of inferior quality. If they are from open-pollinated or heirloom stock, however, I do agree that home-grown seeds are a great choice.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here