Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corduroy_gw

Basil plant dying -- please help!

corduroy
13 years ago

I started my basil plant from seed about 2 months ago. I put it by a south-facing window so I think it is getting enough sun. I water it once every 2 or 3 days. It has been fairly healthy, but about 10 days ago the leaves started to have problems. Pls see Picture 1 and 2.

Picture 1 - notice the brown spot on the bottom left leaf:

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/7531/cimg4810.jpg

Picture 2 - close up shot

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/8302/cimg4811.jpg

I thought the plastic cup was restricting root development and that the bottom leaves may be aging, so I re-potted it into a bigger pot 6 days ago. The brown spot showed up on a couple other leaves so I cut them off. However, the brown spot has started appearing on the leaf towards the top. This leads me to believe that this is not related to aging. Please see Picture 3.

Picture 3 - see leaf on top right

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/9240/cimg4825v.jpg

I did research online and read about water droplets on the leaves causing it to burn, or fungus in the soil splashing onto the leaves, or over-watering, or not enough sun. I don't believe any of these apply to my situation. I am very new to gardening and would really appreciate it if you could take a look at the pictures above and let me know what might be going on.

Thanks so much for your help!

Comments (5)

• mister_potato_head
    13 years ago

In picture 1 & 2, it shows the plant in a drinking cup with very little soil. Did the cup have drainage holes in the bottom, so the soil could dry out between waterings? I would suspect that might be your problem. Or over watering in general.

The plant looks much happier in pic 3, and I wish my 36 basil plants looked so nice....

Enjoy.

• newtoherbs
    13 years ago

I am trying to navigate this site just joined, So sorry if I posted this is the wrong thread, I bought a plant from home depot a huge plant, it consisted of basil, thyme and oregano all in the same pot. Can some one tell me how to care for these herbs? Should I separate them into separate pots? and do they come up every year. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you in advanced.

• corduroy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mister_potato_head:

The lush green color certainly looks healthy but I am very concerned about the spots that are appearing on the leaves. I had holes punched on the bottom of the plastic cups so I don't think drainage was an issue.

On picture 3 above you will see a large spot on the leaf towards the top. I already had to cut off 5 leaves due to the spots, as the spot pretty much starts to take over the entire leaf and don't go away. Just this morning another leaf got spots -- not just one spot on the leaf like the photos, but 8 or 9 spots on the leaf. If I need to cut this leaf out and given how quickly this is developing I will have no leaves left in the next few days.....

What should I try???

• dianasan
    13 years ago

curdoroy, I concur that it might be an overwatering or moisture problem. I wouldn't be concerned about losing the occasional bottom leaf, but if you say that the spots are appearing on leaves higher up, then you might have a problem.

I think your plant would be happier outside. Though it gets plenty of sun in your south-facing window, it would benefit from the fresh air outdoors. The gentle winds and breezes would also strengthen the plant.

What I would do is move it to a shaded porch for two or three days and then move it out into the sun gradually. Snip off the top two leaves to encourage bushiness. Also, fertilize with a high nitrogen fertilizer such as 30-0-0 weekly at the recommended dosage.

If you prefer to have an indoor plant, take a cutting of about 1/3 off the top which you can root in a glass of water and then replant in a pot and grow in your window. This does not guarantee that the black spot problem will not reoccur.

Newtoherbs, You can plant the oregano and thyme in the ground since they are perennials and will come back next year. The basil is an annual. You can also plant it in the ground or keep it in a pot. If you collect the seeds, you can sow them next year.

• mister_potato_head
    13 years ago

corduroy,

dianasan gave some very detailed and sound advice. I would try her methods. I grow my basil in my garden next to my tomato plants, and they grow quickly, and bushy. I don't worry too much about a spot or hole on a few leaves, because the plants usually grow faster than critters bother them. But I understand your concern that the plant will be overrun by these spots. Move it outdoors if you can.

corduroy was the title of a children's book that I read to my kids over and over and over, when they were young. I love that book.