Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you help me identify mint-type plant?

Posted by nownow none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 12 at 19:52

Hello: My mother grows this plant in her yard in Florida. She says it is mint. The plants that I see here in North Carolina that are mint or spearmint do not match this. It looks almost like a spearmint plant and smells almost like it but it is not. Its a little sweeter smelling. The picture is the best I can do for a scan of the leaves. The leaves grow to be about the size of a quarter. The plant looks similar to a mint plant and the twigs are woody. I went to the local nursery and no one had an idea what it was? Does anyone have an idea what this plant could be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you help me identify mint-type plant?

Picture would help.

FataMorgana

o

Heres the pic!

o

Do you have a picture of the whole plant?

FataMorgana

o

Calamintha grandiflora maybe?

o

Is it lemon balm? Profuse, grows like a weed, lemon-scented?

Lemon balm is delicious in iced tea. I actually prefer it to mint.

I once made a pesto from its leaves with walnuts and a bit of parmesan and olive oil-- it is delicious.

o

Hello jaynine and yutopia: Thank you for the suggestions but I dont think it is either of these plants. I am getting some pictures hopefully today and will post them.

o

OK.. Here is the plant! Help me Identify it please. Anyone?

o

Heres is pic#2. When I boil the leaves it the water looks a little yellowish. It doesnt look like the lemon balm. Anyone?

o

Plectranthus fruticosus?

o

Hello jaynine. I looked it up and no it does not have flowers like that. As far as I can tell it doesn't have blooming flowers. Also the leaves are different. Thank you again for trying!

http://www.google.com/search?q=Plectranthus+fruticosus&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=vxd&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=bwIGUK6yG5Cg8gT_lt30Bw&ved=0CEQQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=775

o

It's a Plectranthus of some kind...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here