Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what does greek oregano like?

Posted by rober49 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 19:58

I've got some in a shady location & it's becoming invasive. I have 2 more patches that gets morning shade & intense afternoon sun that's doing fine but not as good as the shady patch. these planting were from the same nursery
.i planted some more a few feet away from the shady patch & it's struggling. of course the 2nd planting could be mislabeled as it came from a different grower.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what does greek oregano like?

Maybe some pictures? Then someone can sort out the definite id.

BTW 'invasive' has a specific meaning and refers to aliens which spread into the wild outside their natural habitat, both animal and plant species. Garden plants which just spread vigorously are not invasive, unless they escape into the wild. But they can be a aggressive. And one person's aggressive is another's happily spreading.

o

I've got my Greek oregano in full sun and give it no supplemental water or fertilizer. It grows well but never spreads.

Rodney

o

"Never spreads"! Are you sure it is Greek Oregano?! I like it, just got more, after ripping out a bunch, but it sure does spread (at least for me)!

o

Well, it's what the tag said it was and it has a great oregano flavor, so yeah, I'm positive it's Greek oregano.

Rodney

o

That's strange that it isn't spreading, my greek oregano isn't very big yet but a lot of the farther reaching branches have rooted to the ground, so it's definitely spreading lol

o

I'm still thinking the latest purchase was mislabeled. the 3 original plantings are spreading & are blooming like crazy. it's even moving into a dense patch of loriope. the later plantings are not as vigorous. they are pretty much in the same conditions as far as soil & light as the original. I prefer the aggressive version. I'm using it as a ground cover & my honey bees are on it non-stop.

o

I was pulling weeds out of my stone wall and found greek oregano growing in it... I wouldn't say it is on the level of an invasive weed, but it certainly spreads.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here