Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is Eating my Basil?

Posted by achang89 Central NJ Z6b (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 20:16

My greek basil plants are growing strong. But they are bug magnet. Some little bugs are chewing the leaves. Here is a photo:

photo 030fd1fe-ed02-4a3e-a3a5-b7e965373d4d.jpg

What is the little black bug in the middle of the photo? They are chewing the leaves.

I normally cut a few tender leaves, so the bugs do not really matter much. But I'd like to know what they are.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is Eating my Basil?

I would look at the other one, the green one. It looks like leafhopper.

o

I missed the two green bugs. There may be other bugs. The basils are just bug magnet. All the animals stay away from them, but bugs love them.

Do you spray to rid of the bugs?

o

Honestly, I don't spay much my herbs. I catch leafhoppers or chase them off if they are lucky :) But they are very hard to catch :)
Sorry, maybe somebody else has a good suggestion.

o

Even with all the bugs, the plants still grows well and they are about 1 foot tall and around. There is plenty for me to use and for the bugs to chew.... I'll treat them as feeder plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here