Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant ID?

Posted by andrewofthelemon 7b Central Arkansas (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 16, 11 at 21:12

Okay, so i just (about an hour ago) recieved two herbs for my birthday. The first i am pretty sure is foxglove.

Photobucket

Pretty root-bound.
Photobucket

Here's the one i have no clue. It has a smell that kind of smells like lettuce, only sweet. Its silvery, and a family member compared it to Silver Mound, which isn't really a herb.

Photobucket

Photobucket

also is pretty root-bound

Photobucket

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant ID?

The first looks like foxglove to me as well. And the second looks like an artemisia.

FataMorgana

o

artemisia, can't say i've ever heard of it, but i'm going to look it up! Thanks!

o

Artemisia - a family of plants, not really one single plant. It looks like Wormwood to me - Artemisia absinthium. Can grow to a large shrub, and might inhibit growth of other plants nearby. It has quite a distinctive smell to it. Not a herb to used lightly, but its colour is pretty in the garden. It used to be used in the making of the liqueur ABSINTHE - but now that use is banned. It has an interesting story, worth checking out online.

Warning: Use internally only under expert supervision and for short periods of time only. Can cause convulsions, delirium, hallucinations and even death. Can become addictive. Avoid when pregnant. Its use is banned in many countries.

o

it smells like sweet lettuce

o

And that foxglove is toxic goes without saying.

Neither of these plants should be used for any purpose other than general interest in the flower bed. You DO understand that, andrew....right? They aren't 'herbs' in the culinary sense that most of us use that word.

o

Yup :) foxglove is used for what...digitalus?

Whats bad is my grandmother gave me this stuff...

o

Your grandmother did you a kindness - both plants are beautiful in the garden. Tomatoes and potatoes are poisonous, too, when used incorrectly, and they aren't so pretty!

o

I totally agree...they are lovely additions to the flower garden.

o

daisy is right- looks like wormwood... give it plenty of space- it will get huge.

o

The wormwood I grew years ago was so lovely (silvery after a rain, and lacy) - it will need at least 2 feet of space around. Enjoy!

o

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 8, 12 at 10:01

Artemisia arborescens L.
Tree Wormwood

What we here call "Sheba" (the Arabic name, really). We use it in tea, especially for tummy cramps and upsets. Yes, it's bitter, we usually put honey in it. Of course we don't overuse it, but it's considered a normal herbal help for stomach stuff. Many folks like it as a now and then tea.

So is this the same plant that you all are calling poisonous? I have it planted with the other and medicinal herbs, and all seem to be happy - actually, that garden is doing the best out of all of them! The winter veggie garden attempt was less than a success......

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here