Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Papalo

Posted by chervil2 z5 MA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 14, 06 at 21:19

I started Papalo from seed in mid-April and the plants are thriving. The scent and taste of the plant is very strong. I have googled recipes and am not sure that I want to cook with this herb. Any thoughts? Is this a love or hate it type herb with people?

Thanks for your input.

chervil2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Papalo

I couldn't get mine to grow!Lucky you! If I understand it, it being the REAL cilantro, you just use it in place of cilantro...

o
RE: Papalo PS

I forgot, I THINK I read somewhere that it's not used dried... but I could be wrong.

o

I love cilantro and grow lots of it all season long. I can not imagine using papalo instead. The papalo is really pungent compared to cilantro. Perhaps this herb is an acquired taste?

Chervil2

o

Ick! I have heard that with cilantro, you love it or hate it... and well...ICK! :o) Papalo is the real thing... authentic Mexican. Oh well... each to his own.

o

I'm trying it for the first time this year. Since I love cilantro and am allergic to it, I'm hoping this will be a solution. I'm so tired of sneezing, tearing, itching and coughing while I'm eating!

o

I LOVE this herb. Mine didn't germinate this year, but I had some gorgeous plants last year. I just snipped it up over beans and rice most of the time. That was my favorite way to eat it and I found the most complimentary to it's flavor. My hubby things it is great with very hot salsas because you could still taste the herb through the heat.

I made a new recipe up last night, at the end I added fresh cilantro. You could use some papalo instead. When I use cilantro I add about a tablespoon per serving. When I use papalo on things I add less than a teaspoon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread with my new dinner recipe!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here