Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Greek Columnar Basil

Posted by bren__gardener Florida (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 1, 06 at 21:21

Where can I buy some seeds for this plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Greek Columnar Basil

You probably won't be able to get any from anywhere, because it's a 'created' plant whose seeds will breed the original Greek basil. Best to buy a plant, and take cuttings from it now and then - that way, each plant will be a clone of its mother.

o

This plant, also known as 'Lesbos' or 'Aussie Sweetie', is known for its distinctive taste and growth habit, as well as for flowering rarely in our climate. Plants are readily available by mail.

See this post about the plant, and this one about propagation.

o

Just wanted to chime in here....I have Greek Columnar Basil, grown from a seedling. It's HUGE now, so beautiful. I love it. The smell is so aromatic. Very lemony, like sweet basil. It's a great plant.
One of my stalks broke off, and I took it indoors and put it in water, and before long roots sprouted, and after dipping in some root hormone, I transplanted it. It's doing really well inside the house.
This is a great basil.

o

Steve, what's it taste like? How do you like it for pesto, tomato sauce, etc.?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here