Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MINT! More and More!

Posted by heatherk z7 Roanoke Rapids, N (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 25, 10 at 21:24

I have a beautiful potted mint plant that has started sending runners out and I've put pots next to the original mint plant to 'catch' the runners so they can start to take root.
My question is: how do I propagate these runners into new plants?
My second question is the original plant is HUGE! Any suggestions as to additional uses, drying, or preservation of the mint plant?
My third question is how do I winter this plant? We are in Zone 7 and have fairly mild winters, we may get frost or snow. I can bring it inside if need be.
All suggestions are welcome!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MINT! More and More!

Do you know what kind of "mint" it is? There are many plants some of them very different from each other than can have the moniker "mint."

FataMorgana

o

• Posted by heatherk z7 Roanoke Rapids, N (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 26, 10 at 9:52

It is Lime Mint

o

new use - 2-3 cupsfresh mint leaves, 1 fresh cut up pineapple, 1-2 cups ice.....in a high speed blender to smoothie/slushy state.

Propagation, I'd pop off a stem stick it in soil and water well - chances are - it'll take.

o

T-bird, 2-3 cups of mint in one smoothie? I just wanted to check that measurement before I tried it :)

o

Mint is very easy to propogate from cuttings. My BF would prefer that the whole yard be mint, so every time we harvest, we cut a stems near to the ground, leaving several healthy leaves at the base (so it will continue to grow)

The cutting get stripped of leaves except for the top two, and the stems are then cut back to 4-5 " and immediately stuck in a glass of water. Usually the next day I dust the end of the stems with rooting hormone, and pop them in an empty four pack with regular potting soil - in about a week they are ready to go back into the mint bed. We went from 8 plants to 40 this year! (so far)

Oh - and they are easily winter hardy in zone 7 - I am in zone 4 and the couple of plants I had last year wintered over outside just fine. In the ground, not in pots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here