Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
African Blue Basil Help

Posted by ChumbaKid Wyoming (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 4, 11 at 23:09

I recently purchased some African Blue Basil and I'm not sure when it's ready for harvest. It has started producing some purple flowers if that's important. I've never really grown herbs before so I'm pretty new to this and any information would be helpful.

I apologize if this post isn't in the right area or if it's been answered but I swear I looked before posting. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: African Blue Basil Help

harvest away... flowers are tasty too when they are young... avoid whacking more than half the plant at a time if possible...

o

Taste before using. African Blue Basil is stronger- and more camphory-tasting than ordinary sweet basil. You may want to use it sparingly or combine it with other herbs like parsley. Not an ideal choice for pesto, IMO.

o

true that... i use it more akin to how i use thai basil than italian...

my buddy has glazed the young blossoms and used them to dress up a lemongrass vanilla cupcake as well...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here