Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My basil leaves are so tiny

Posted by gina_basil TX (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 25, 09 at 23:22

Hi,

I've been growing basil from plants every year. And every year, the basil leaves get smaller and smaller as they get taller. i do pinch off the flowers but the leaves are not getting any bigger. The leaves look healthy but they are just not as big as when i first brought them home. The plant is in an 8 inch pot on the south side of the house. Thanks to those who offer advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My basil leaves are so tiny

Pot is MILES too small. Of course the plant (and its leaves) are going to be very stunted. (Much like a bonsai plant)

Best solution: put the plant in the garden and be prepared to be amazed at just how BIG a basil plant can get!

o
RE: My basil leaves are so tiny

Also, cut your plant back. Don't just pinch out the flowers. You will get lots more leaf production if you regularly cut your basil back by about one-half when you harvest. A 12 inch pot is the minimum size needed for Italian type basils.

F. DeBaggio

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here