Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Big is a 'Sprig'?

Posted by helenore MN (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 4, 06 at 0:35

Is that the dumbest question you've read lately? Well, I don't know the answer, and I'm sure it's probably different for every herb.

This minute I am concerned with rosemary. How long is a "sprig" of rosemary.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Big is a 'Sprig'?

Say about 12-15cm long. That's about 4-6 inches in your language. Or if you haven't got a tape measure - say about the length of your hand from base to finger tip - you choose which finger! But there's no hard and fast rule about it. You can make it twice as long or half as long if you want!

That's rosemary. You're unlikely to get too many thyme sprigs as long as that. More likely about half the length. It varies according to the age of your plant. Of course, you're likely to use more thyme in any recipe than you would rosemary, so for thyme - use 2 sprigs!!

A sprig of parsley now - that's different. You just cut off the leafy bits at the end of the stalk. Some have lots of leaves, some have just a few. It's a common-sense thing with parsley.

The thing to remember is that precise measurement of herbs isn't required. Add a little, taste, add more if required. If you find you've added to much of the herb, the only way around it to increase the quantities of everything else!!

o

Here in the south, a "Sprig" is just another word for a cutting.

It's like saying a "Pinch of salt" or "Dash of Vanilla". It's just an inexact amount.

Best Wishes
Amino-X

o

or the same as saying 'too taste'. I like those kind of recipes... course they're just guidelines. :o)

o

For Rosemary I would say anything that is not yet woody could be cut and called a "Sprig".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here