Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chad_la

cilantro tip

chad_la
16 years ago

of course i assume this would work great with a whole host of other herbs. i dont like to freeze zipper bags full of green leaves so what i do is take my cilantro and freeze it in cubes. fill your blender full of cilantro leaves and minor stems and just a touch of water. blend it on high till it makes a thick slurry. you may have to scrape down the sides a time or two and freeze this in ice cube trays. once frozen then put in a bowl or zip top baggie and back in the freezer. use as needed.

Comments (13)

• wv2ga
    16 years ago

Sounds like a great idea, and it also sounds as if you are quite good at growing cilantro.

If you don't mind, I have a question about growing cilantro.

This is my second year growing it in my garden. Last year, after pruning the flowering stems off; it just dried and died.

This year I tried to prune it with more of a straight clean cut, and it seems to fair better but it is still not great. My basil, greek oregano, and flat parsely are all doing quite well, just not the cilantro.

Any tips you wouldn't mind sharing for gardener new to cilantro?

Thank you,

Jim

• digit
    16 years ago

Jim, until Chad gets back to you to give you the right info, let me tell you about my experience growing cilantro. I garden in the interior West, hot and dry with a fairly short growing season.

I have planted it at absolutely every time of the year . . . the results have been frustrating. Planting in the early Spring usually works okay but the best for me has been to get some seed into the ground about now and wherever a plant is still growing next Spring, leave it alone until it is harvestable. Cilantro is an annual but it often is able to survive a Winter here, even with sub-zero temps. Those survivors will be, by far, larger and healthier compared to any cilantro at any other time of the year.

I can just remove the plant and use or freeze the leaves. Cutting off the flowers has always worked just as you described - "it just dried and died."

You'd think that cilantro would be just a little more cooperative in our gardens since it seems to be available fresh year-around in the supermarkets. Ah, well . . .

Steve

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Cilantro is grown in greenhouses, under controlled environments. Here, I can get maybe 2-3 runs of it during the summer, provided its in shade and it doesn't got too hot. Many times, I will plant a small amount every 3-4 weeks, whch seems to give me a continous supply until it gets too cold to grow. The stuff you see in stores is usually grown without soil, so its nice and clean and free of bugs, dirt and other stuff.

• digit
    16 years ago

Hah! Hydroponically and greenhouse grown!

Hadn't even occurred to me, KSRogers.

Thanks,
    Steve

• stacy_w
    16 years ago

Hello,

I am growing cilantro/coriander for the first time. I have had a lot of leaves and been able to harvest them. The plant has now gone to seed, and I want to harvest them too, both for cooking and propagation. I know how to harvest them. I just don't know when the seeds are ripe. Any advice?

Thanks!

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

They turn a tan color and thats when they literally fall off the plant. Picking when they are green will also work, but the flavor is a bit less.

• stacy_w
    16 years ago

Thanks. I picked the first batch early, but I will wait for the other, and compare the flavour. I appreciate you responding.

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

Tie the toe-part of a nylon stocking or a very small paper bag over the seed head... this will probably need staking. The seeds will fall into the "bag" when fully ripe.

PS don't use a plastic bag... which will cause mold.

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

My cilantro dropped all the seed last year ( I was not paying attention). It s now self sown ALL over my garden. And I do mean all over. :)

• fatamorgana2121
    15 years ago

Yummy! Let it come up some and harvest away anything that is badly located. "Volunteer" plants can be quite a bonus!

FataMorgana

• cyrus_gardner
    15 years ago

Cilantro is a COOL crop. Therefore , it wont do well in the middle of hot summer. They will bolt and go for seed.

But you can plant some more. I plant them twice a year, once in early spring once in late summer. The ones planted late summer wont bolt and wiil last until sever frost.
    I buy the seeds from mexican herbs secton, by a big bag ( about 4 oz or so) I use them for cooking and planting. This way it is much cheaper than buying them as seed package. So I do not bother go grow my own seeds.

• catman529
    15 years ago

I have grown other plants in the parsley family, including carrots, dill, and parsley. This year I want to try cilantro for the first time, and I hope it goes well.

Last year, I saved my fresh parsley leaves by chopping them with a knife and freezing them in water just like you do with the blender method. In fact, I might still have some leftover.

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

As mentioned, cilantro likes to grow in bunches, and NOT hot temps or lots of sun. Once the flat leaves are fully formed they will start to bolt and produce tiny flower sprays, then seeds. These sprays look a little like dill seed heads. Most of the time its easier to plant several cilanro seeds in small pots and grown indoors with some daylight exposure. They reach about 4-6 inches tall and thats the best time to harvest. Takes about a month to 6 weeks for that height.