Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trying to harvest to sell sweet basil

Posted by lemoncucumberfanatic Oregon (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 2:53

I started selling lemon cucumbers last year, and this year my dads store is in demand of sweet basil. I have finally gotten the plants up enough where I feel good about harvesting, but I want the plant to keep growing. The last time I tried "clipping" the plant hasn't grown back and it's been over a month, so I know I did something wrong. I make sure to pluck it, and keep it watered. It is organic, even though legally I can not say that don't know why. But I really don't want to screw this up. I desperately need the money, because its my only source of income dues to my lupus, and fibromyalgia. If anyone can tell me how much to take off to make sure it keeps growing, or refer me to a video, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trying to harvest to sell sweet basil

You have to have your growing operation certified in order for you to claim 'organic ', but you could use the term "pesticide-free".

Are you selling sprigs of basil? Are you nipping the growing points out when the plant is very young so that it develops lots of axillary branching? With a little bit of pinching, a basil plant can become very bushy....offering lots of tender side shoots for harvesting.

o

I have been very good about making sure it doesn't flower, I pick leaves if they look weak but they are pretty bushy. I think I need More I have some in peat pellets that are ready to transplant but the store I'm selling to said they will take 100 bushels. I just don't want to cut it too short where it doesn't keep growing. I'll take a picture tomorrow, I've been looking up videos about it, but it's not that helpful. Thanks for your response and help.

o

Be sure to search through the back posts of this forum. Whole books of info is available there on growing, harvesting, and using basil - it is one of our most asked about herbs.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here