Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting Herb Garden

Posted by yakov78 none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 12 at 3:59

Hello. I am new to this forum, and have been reading all the wonderful posts here. I am interested in starting an herb garden, and have scoured the internet for ways to get herb seeds. Herb starter kits seems to cost an arm and a leg.

It seems that there are generous people in the forum that would send seeds as long as I include postage and envelope, which I would be happy to do.

The herbs I would like to start with are fairly common I believe:

Sweet Basil
Italian parsley
Cilantro
Dill
Mint (cuban, if possible)
Thyme

(random: romaine lettuce)

If you have some spare seeds for the above (I would also be open to other interesting herbs), I would greatly appreciate it if you would shoot me a msg/email.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting Herb Garden

This is not the appropriate forum for this kind of transaction. There are Exchange forums (including one for seed), but you are asked to bring your own seed to the swap. Asking for free seed (even with a SASE) is against Gardenweb rules.

But herb seeds are not that expensive if you go on line to one of the many great seed companies and you'll find plenty of options. But you'll find that the people in the exchange forums are extremely generous in their exchanges.

o

Check the Seed Exchange forum, some people there offer seeds for postage and watch for another Adopt a Newbie thread this fall. Meanwhile a generous lady at gardenhoard.com gives free seeds for SASE.

o

BTW don't bother with a herb starting 'kit' Just get some seeds, a few containers (can be any recycled pot or tub) and a small bag of potting medium. You could even grow basil and mint from cuttings of supermarket herbs in water.

o

You may also check out any of the lawn, garden and home places for clearanced-out seed. Great deals are waiting to be had!

FataMorgana

o

There is also

http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=HILA2

website that gives seeds of varied types depending on what they have left over from 2 years back I did get some basil from them a while back and they seem to be doing fine. They have a free seed icon then a FREE SASE Seeds hyperlink you will need to send them a SASE with 2 stamps, why 2 I do not know unless some of their seeds are heavier than others.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here