Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
putri_gw

Mint Species and problem.

putri
16 years ago

I'm currently growing a mint plant. Not really sure what kind of mint though. How are we to know the species? Btw, my plant seems to have some brown/yellow tiny spots on some of the leaves. I don't know what it is. Whether its rust or some other pest. Can anyone tell me? Thx. appreciate ur help.:)

Comments (21)

• vera_eastern_wa
    16 years ago

It's Mint Rust. Remove the infected leaves promptly to prevent spores from exploding.

• putri
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh my. What should i do besides cutting the infected parts? But, aren't mint rust orange in color? mines are yellow/light green tiny spots. Any help on the species part?
    Thx. Putri.

• putri
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh by the way is there such thing as garden mint, bcause from what i've seen in pics, I think my mint looks a lot like it.
    If u'll like to see what i mean, scroll down the URL below.
    www.healthyliving-herbs.co.za/.../Mint.html
    I saw the pic there under garden mint.

Thx again.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden mint pic.

• Daisyduckworth
    16 years ago

Mint rust is a fungal disease, and the leaves can be a sort of orange-tan or brown colour when they're affected. It's best to chop the entire plant right down to soil level, dispose of them in a plastic bag in the bin (not on your garden), and replant the mint - either in a different part of the garden, or into completely fresh potting mix if in a pot. The fungus is in the soil, you see. After you've dug up your plant, remove as much soil as you can from the roots, then wash the whole thing in some water to which you've added some dishwashing detergent and a dash of bleach. Shake dry and replant.

If your plant is in the garden, you can cover it with straw and set it alight - only if you can do this legally and safely, of course!

The common or garden mint is Spearmint, Mentha spicata. I was not able to access your pix or the site you gave.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• putri
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oh i see. But isn't the plant just gonna die? If i cut all its leaves? Am I able to still use the leaves that don't have any spots? I was thinking of drying them.
    My plant looks like the picture u loaded. Except i think that in the pic the leaves are darker than what i have.
    Thx.

• Daisyduckworth
    16 years ago

If you think you can kill mint as easily as that, think again. While the roots are alive, they'll produce leaves. It'll come back better than ever.

I would not use the infected leaves. I don't eat any diseased foods. Some people might be less squeamish. You'll have plenty healthy ones before too long.

• putri
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ok then. thks for the help. Any tips on raising mints? Do they need lots of sunlight or partly shaded? Can they stand hot temperatures?oh btw, i think that my mint plant isnt that spear-shaped, it's a bit oval-circular.is that still considered spearmint?

Here is a link that might be useful: scroll down and u'll find the mint picture, the far left pic looks like my mint.

• Daisyduckworth
    16 years ago

That's definitely spearmint. Looks fine to me.

Mint prefers moist but well-drained soil (not soggy) and in a hot climate (like mine) prefers partial shade. In cooler climates it will grow well in full sun. If it becomes leggy, give it more sun. Mints can be cut right back to the ground once or twice a year to encourage more and stronger leaf growth. It can take a lot of punishment, but doesn't like being potbound, and won't handle having the soil (potting mix especially) drying out completely. After cutting it right back, give it a little fertiliser (according to manufacturer's instructions, or just a few handfuls of compost) and a good watering to give it a head-start. Mint really doesn't need a lot of looking after. It's a determined beast.

• putri
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok then, wish me luck on re-newing these mints. Oh I live in a hot location by the way, in Indonesia so I'll put them in the shade.I'm so happy to have a spearmint.Yippie.
    Thanks alot daisy.

• putri
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh by the way, could u take a look at my mint pic. I submitted it in the garden clinic column under the title : GREEN BLOCHES on mint, pls help. I would appreciate it if you would take a look as that's how my mint leaves are at the moment. It's only the leaves tho not the whole plant cause scanned it. Thanks again.

• putri
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh by the way after cutting all it's leaves and cleaning it's roots from soil, how are we to plant it again, I mean Are there suppose to be 1 or 2 stems left or chop all the stems and cover all the roots with soil leaving no stems popping above the soil? Thanks.
    btw, pls kindly take alook at my pic in the garden clinic forum. ecause I do not no how to upload a pic in this form. Loads of thanks.

• putri
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here I tried uploading a image of my mint plant

Here is a link that might be useful:

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

Looks like Leaf Miner munching to me.

I have mint everywhere on our property and it grows no matter what. I weedwack it down and it still comes back. I don't water it all summer, it turns crispy, I think AHA!.... but it comes back next Winter anyway. The only mint that seems the least bit temperamental is the Scotch Mint, which, of course, is my favorite.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

They look like insect eggs. Leaf minors usually will gouge into the leaves and will leave 'winding roads'. Suggest you spray with neem. If these white spots are holes, then its got a chewing bug

• putri
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh my, i just grew the plant and it's already bugged up. could u tell me what neem is? So I plucked all the leaves and most of the stems already leaving one stem and replanted it, shoild I leave that one stem or cut it too? Soap and bleach can't fix the leafminer/bug can it? Can we prevent it from infecting our plants again?
    Thanks for ur help.

• putri
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oh by the way those are not holes it looks like fungus too me but I'm not sure. I tried drying the leaves inffected but the parts of the leaf that's infected doesn't dry fully those bloches seems to stay moist.

• putri
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oh by the way those are not holes it looks like fungus too me but I'm not sure. I tried drying the leaves inffected but the parts of the leaf that's infected doesn't dry fully those bloches seems to stay moist.

• jduong
    13 years ago

Hi all. I know this thread is quite old, but I am experiencing the same problems as Putri with my mint plant. It has been hard for me to describe the issues I have been having in a new post, but luckily Putri posted pictures on this thread. What is going on has been quite devastating for my plant, so any advice you all have on how to take care of it would be helpful. Can someone identify the problem related to the picture??

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

As said, the pix above look like leaf miner damage.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Google - Leaf Miner

• stella_on
    12 years ago

Mint rust is in my main garden. Besides planting mint in one of my other gardens, how do I get rid of the rust in my main garden? the garden is 28by40 feet.
    Thanks.

• EnjoyHerbalGardening
    12 years ago

You could cut the mint as close down to the ground as possible, dont worry, mint is pretty hard to destroy. See what comes up.